Not Gaining Weight

Hannah Staine

I swear it's like he's just a picky eater. he will take some bites then he's like ok I know what this is now and I don't want anymore it's subpar. haha

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I swear it's like he's just a picky eater. he will take some bites then he's like ok I know what this is now and I don't want anymore it's subpar. haha
That's very common!

They are really picky eaters, but a hungry tortoise will eat. It's important to soak for at least 30 minutes every day while food isn't being eaten as dehydration also suppresses appetite.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There could be many reasons for this. A gut full of parasites, like pinworms, is just one possibility.

Living under a red bulb is another possibility.

Being started too dry is a possibility.

Your temps are correct, so I don't that is a possibility.

He gets sunshine, exercise and soaks, so we can eliminate those things as possibilities.

Here is a thought: Put four quarters on your scale and tell us what you get in grams.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can you show me what kind of light you mean to get? I don't know any that give hear except the IR. I will get that light and some mazuri and see what happens...I don't really have the money to go to a tortoise vet right now.
The dog is scared of the tortoise haha I know everyone thinks their dog won't do anything even though it could so he cannot reach him and I am supervising when we are all outside like in that picture.
There was a new member who just lost her baby tort. She said she watched her tort but, got sleepy and fell asleep for just a while. Her dog somehow got a hold of her tort and bite his shell. The baby died of the wounds. Please don't even let the dog near the tort even as you look on.