Zilla and Shelldon not gaining weight...

Turningstar

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Weve had them for approximately 3 weeks or so. I weighed them on 7/6 and they were 62 and 65 grams. I just weighed them after a short soak and they were 62 and 63 grams.

They eat escarole, some romaine and collard greens occasionally, weeds and grass, mazuri pellets and I just started giving them grassland pellets from tortoise supply. They get calcium powder and I put reptivite on their food once or twice since I got it last week.
They get outside time a couple hours a day and a good 20 minute soak every day (except yesterday, I forgot). Their ambient temp during the day is 82-92 in the heat of the day, night never goes below 82. Basking spot is 100-104 usually, measured with 3 different temp probes and a Fluke ir gun. All within a couple degrees of eachother. I check temps constantly. Humidity stays around 85%.
They are still together in the tortoise box (dont yell at me!:)) but Im trying desperately to finish their new enclosure. 3 little kids, constant rain, and shoulder surgery have really slowed me down. Im scrambling to get it done and painted so they can move in in the next week or so. Then they will be separated.

Am I being overly paranoid? I see them eating and walking around and plenty of pooping going on. Their eyes are open and clear. No noises or bubbles coming from their noses or mouths. Should I do something different (other than hurry my butt up on their enclosure)?

Also...... I reread the care sheet from the breeder I got them from. It stated that they do well with 30-50% humidity, should never have a water bowl, and are started with mazuri pellets and frozen mixed veggies(corn,lima beans,peas,carrots). That concerns me. No wonder all they would eat when they came was romaine! They wouldnt touch grass or weeds, and still dont eat much of them!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
It sounds like all is fine, they don't necessarily gain weight fast so don't worry too much. just my opinion, there are more knowledgeable people on this list.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Woohoo, we finally have substantial weight gain!!
They were 68 and 69 grams today!

YAY! Give it time.... they will take off like a rocket. Mine gained almost 20 grams in the past 2 weeks. Then again, mine's a little pig.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Woohoo, we finally have substantial weight gain!!
They were 68 and 69 grams today!
Glad to see this improvement. You definitely bought from the wrong source. You'll know better next time, and hopefully these two will work out okay.

Turningstar

Florida
I guess its one step forward,another step back. I weighed them today after soaking, and they both LOST a gram or two. Ive even been giving them free choice to all kinds of food the last few days to see if they would gain more, thinking maybe I wasnt feeding enough, even though they always have food.
Im so frustrated. 2 months and theyve only gained a couple grams....

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I guess its one step forward,another step back. I weighed them today after soaking, and they both LOST a gram or two. Ive even been giving them free choice to all kinds of food the last few days to see if they would gain more, thinking maybe I wasnt feeding enough, even though they always have food.
Im so frustrated. 2 months and theyve only gained a couple grams....

I’m so sorry.... and you’ve built such a nice enclosure.. are you sure your scale is accurate? I’m sure pulling for your babies! Prayers for them both.