Sulcata not gaining weight

Danielle148

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata hatchlings he was born in April and I got him in may. compared to my other tortoise who is a year old he's growing at a really slow rate. I've tested him for parasites and he's negative.. he doesn't eat a ton but he is a small guy he's 70 grams and he's just have went up a gram since the last month. I'm pretty worried what can I do? or what may be wrong I feed him mostly mazuri sometimes cactus pads. kale. collard or mustard greens. he poops and pees regularly

Attachments

• 1477799782348-2107397095.jpg
    1477799782348-2107397095.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, Hawaii
Sounds like you're doing all the right things, Danielle, certainly nothing wrong with that diet. He just could be the "runt of the litter," I guess, although I've never seen a "skinny" Sulcata. Make sure he has long soaks a few times a week, & keep on doing what you're doing. And welcome to the forum!

Ken

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Danielle

Are these two kept together?

They're not social creatures and don't want, need or particularly like company. Another tortoise is simply competition for food and territory. Males and females are equally territorial.

When one fails to thrive and they're kept together it's a pretty sure sign that the other is dominant and that this one is stressed and probably not eating or resting properly.

They're expert mental bullies, they don't always fight physically, so the signs are easily missed. "Cuddling up together" is actually jostling for the best spot for example.

Please read the links that Tom gave you and keep them separately.

legan52

Chicago
Following

My baby isn't growing either and I've read all of the guides and am following all of the recommendations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Following

My baby isn't growing either and I've read all of the guides and am following all of the recommendations.

I don't want to hijack Danielle's thread, but exploring your issue might lend some insight into hers.

What was the source of your tortoise and how was it started? Wet or dry method?

How much does your baby weigh?

legan52

Chicago
I don't want to hijack Danielle's thread, but exploring your issue might lend some insight into hers.

What was the source of your tortoise and how was it started? Wet or dry method?

How much does your baby weigh?

We got our tort from a reptile show, out of the three breeders there this one had babies in the best set up. On coir and with fresh greens to munch on. He said they bathed several times a week, but not daily. That was august 6th. Today his weight ranges from 34-37grams depending on if it's right after a meal, bath, etc. I know that weight is FAR too low, but he eats, drinks, and poops regularly. We feed dandelion/grass/clover in the morning, warm bath for 20-30mins daily, and usually he can finish half of a soaked Mazuri pellet in the evening. I've tried other greens but so far he refuses to eat them. He's active, seems happy, and always eats enthusiastically. His tank is set up as a closed chamber with a che and mvb for heat (alternating day/night). We use coir because it's easier to shape some hills and valleys, which he really seems to like. Humidity is never lower than 70, but usually above 80. I use a temp gun to check his spots so I know those are warm enough too. By all accounts I seem to be doing everything properly but he's at least 4-5 months now and not nearly as big as he should be. Again, though, he's happy and acting super normal. I weigh daily on a digital kitchen scale and keep a journal. The current plan is to just keep doing our best and if he passes, I will search for an older rescue to take on. We just bought a big walk in greenhouse and bags of tortoise mix grass and dandelion seeds to start for winter. I'm hoping for the best but the lack of weight gain isn't making me feel too confident.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Hi Danielle

Are these two kept together?

They're not social creatures and don't want, need or particularly like company. Another tortoise is simply competition for food and territory. Males and females are equally territorial.

When one fails to thrive and they're kept together it's a pretty sure sign that the other is dominant and that this one is stressed and probably not eating or resting properly.

They're expert mental bullies, they don't always fight physically, so the signs are easily missed. "Cuddling up together" is actually jostling for the best spot for example.

Please read the links that Tom gave you and keep them separately.
they are kept together but it's a large space. I do feed them separately outside the tortoise able. my oldest which is a year and himy are from the same local breeder.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
they are kept together but it's a large space. I do feed them separately outside the tortoise able. my oldest which is a year and himy are from the same local breeder.
You should separate them and is this table you keep them in an open top?

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Yes its an open top. it takes up most of our spare bedroom where do I put the little guy? I don't have enough for another tortoise table.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Temp and humidity play a major role in health, pyramiding. It's very hard to make that happen in an open top enclosure. I suggest reading all those threads linked above. The nice thing about the baby is he can be kept in a small aquarium/tank for a little while. Post a picture of the table and I promise you will get lots of help with ideas. We've all been there before.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
they are housed together but eat apart. I got them both from the same breeder. they started off on spring mix. weeds and grass outside but mainly mazuri and veggies since all our grass is dying off because of the fall. he eats.. poops. and pees regulary everything is normal besides him not gaining. I have a large enclosure that takes up alot of our spare bedroom so I can't put another tortoise enclosure in there I can divide it though

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Temp and humidity play a major role in health, pyramiding. It's very hard to make that happen in an open top enclosure. I suggest reading all those threads linked above. The nice thing about the baby is he can be kept in a small aquarium/tank for a little while. Post a picture of the table and I promise you will get lots of help with ideas. We've all been there before.
the paper plate is usually clay but I accidently broke it a couple days ago. I know i need more hiding places. should I build a little covered area for the enclosure? and mist it with Moss in there ? like a humid hide. will they get a respiratory infection from humidity ?

Attachments

• IMG_20161010_171059.jpg
    IMG_20161010_171059.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
the paper plate is usually clay but I accidently broke it a couple days ago. I know i need more hiding places. should I build a little covered area for the enclosure? and mist it with Moss in there ? like a humid hide. will they get a respiratory infection from humidity ?
The problem is you only have the area under the light getting the heat, the rest is basically room temp and that's not good. They need to be kept warm, and humid. If they can't get wam they can't digest food properly, along with a lot of other things. Read those links and you will understand things a lot better. I like the size of the enclosure.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
The problem is you only have the area under the light getting the heat, the rest is basically room temp and that's not good. They need to be kept warm, and humid. If they can't get wam they can't digest food properly, along with a lot of other things. Read those links and you will understand things a lot better. I like the size of the enclosure.
how do i add more heat. ceramic heat emitters? I also have a little box heater for the room would that help?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Heating the room will help a bit but it still won't do what you need. Checkout the enclosure section and you will get tons of ideas to help cover what you have.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Heating the room will help a bit but it still won't do what you need. Checkout the enclosure section and you will get tons of ideas to help cover what you have.
okay will do i actually can buy a slab of plywood or something to keep on top to keep humidity in

Danielle148

5 Year Member
okay will do i actually can buy a slab of plywood or something to keep on top to keep humidity in
It's not very easy navigating this site on my phone I'm new to this so it takes me a while to find things but I'm thankful for any help or tips anything for my shelled babies

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby