Not peeing

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
Hello I have a 11 month old sulcata. I soak him everyday and I also spray him while in his enclosure. He has a dish with water everyday but I noticed that he's not peeing as much like he use to. So question is is he's okay? He poops alot! But wanted to make sure he's hydrated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How long are you soaking him for?

Is the urate (the white stuff) grainy or smooth as it should be?

If you don't think your tort os peeing enough then increase the length of the soak. Use a large bowl that your tort can walk around in, but not see over or through; a washing up bowl is ideal. The water should be warm and be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron. Soak for at least 20 minutes once a day. Up the soaks to 30 minutes twice a day if you suspect dehydration

Squirts

Fontana ca
I take him about a 20 minute soak everyday. Today I was about to give him a soak and he peeped in the bowl I was about to put him in. And it was clear but I thought I was suppose to be white to know he was hydrated. So thank you guys for the info I guess he sure is hydrated . Makes me happy that I'm doing things right. @Tom @JoesMum

Reactions: Tom

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I take him about a 20 minute soak everyday. Today I was about to give him a soak and he peeped in the bowl I was about to put him in. And it was clear but I thought I was suppose to be white to know he was hydrated. So thank you guys for the info I guess he sure is hydrated . Makes me happy that I'm doing things right. @Tom @JoesMum

Pee should be clear, but may be coloured by diet... for example dandelions turn pee pink

The white stuff is urate. It is how a tort rids itself of excess dietary protein. Torts don’t necessarily do it every day, but when it appears it should not be gritty or grainy as that is a sign of dehydration

Squirts

Fontana ca
Pee should be clear, but may be coloured by diet... for example dandelions turn pee pink

The white stuff is urate. It is how a tort rids itself of excess dietary protein. Torts don’t necessarily do it every day, but when it appears it should not be gritty or grainy as that is a sign of dehydration
Ooo I see! Yeah she does do it sometimes but she hasn't lately. But she's been peeing clear so that's good.