Too much excrement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
This may seem like an insignificant question, but how often should my 9 month old sulcatta be peeing and pooping?
I soak him for 45 minutes everyday and he always poops at least twice and urinates at least twice in his soak. He also does both during his outside time at least once and he does both a couple times per day on top of his log in his enclosure.
Am I just being strange thinking that this is rather often?

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Muffinthetort said:
This may seem like an insignificant question, but how often should my 9 month old sulcatta be peeing and pooping?
I soak him for 45 minutes everyday and he always poops at least twice and urinates at least twice in his soak. He also does both during his outside time at least once and he does both a couple times per day on top of his log in his enclosure.
Am I just being strange thinking that this is rather often?
Sounds pretty normal. The more they eat, the more they poop!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard used to poop everyday in is soaks also. Now that he is older, 2 years + he poops less.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I just wish he'd learn to poop when he's in his soak or outside or even in his enclosure. It seems like he really loves to go when he's being held though. It doesn't matter how long we let him soak, he inevitably goes as soon as we pick him up out of the soak.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm confusd, so he does or doesn't poop in his soaks..or are we talking about two different tortoises?

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
He does, usually multiple times, and then always goes as soon as you take him out as well.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Sound like a defense mechanism because he's startled when you pick him up.

I try to let them know I'm near them by talking to them to avoid startling them or just stroke the top of their shell for a few seconds before you pick them up. As they become more comfortable and realize that you are the "Food God" and not "Godzilla" there should be less poo in your hand.

Also, when you do need to pick them up support them by putting something under them; a pan, a board, or if they're small your hand.

Muffinthetort

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I try not to startle him, but he's always skittish around me. I think I don't interact with him enough. He only sees me for about 5 minutes a day, and that's always when I'm moving him from one place to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.