Gaining weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mission Viejo, CA
Hi there everyone!

I have a baby sulcata (picture attached) and I feed him grass, clovers, Mazuri, dandelion greens, radish greens, etc. but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight... I have had him since September 2012 and bought "him" not knowing "his" age. I weigh "him" once a month in hopes that "he" gains some weight, but "he" never does... This worries me. I give "him" a calcium supplement about 2 times a week, get "him" out for some sun about 4 days a week and have "his" tank at perfect conditions...

I would love any opinions or ideas about maybe helping "him" gain some weight... I know that all sulcatas grow at different rates, but I feel like "he" just isn't growing at all...

Anything responses will be much appreciated!!
Thank you! :)

Here is some of the grass and clovers that I grow for "him"
IMG_2020.JPG
Here "he" is enjoying the beautiful sun
IMG_2225.JPG
"He" loves to eat while sitting in "his" food bowl! :p
IMG_2271.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
There are some environmental factors that can decrease or stunt weight gain. Temps are a major factor, as is hydration, UV, and diet. We'll need a little more info to figure out why he isn't growing. If we can figure out why he's not growing, it'll be easier to recommend ways to improve his growth rate.

Is is kept in an indoor or outdoor enclosure?
What are the daytime and nightime temps of the enclosure?
Does he have a basking spot during the day? If so, how hot is it on the surface at this spot?
Could he be dehydrated?
Does he have a water dish in his enclosure?
Is he soaked regularly? If so, how often?

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
mctlong said:
There are some environmental factors that can decrease or stunt weight gain. We'll need a little more info to figure out why he isn't growing.

Is is kept in an indoor or outdoor enclosure?
What are the daytime and nightime temps of the enclosure?
Does he have a basking spot during the day? If so, how hot is it on the surface at this spot?
Could he be dehydrated?
Does he have a water dish in his enclosure?
Is he soaked regularly? If so, how often?

He is currently kept in an indoor inclosure.
Chewys Tank 2.JPG
The daytime temps are:
Cool side 85*
Under the basking light 105*-110*.
The night time temps are:
80* on all sides of the tank.
He has a water dish in his tank at all times and I soak him about 3-4 times a week for about 30-45 minutes each time.
His tank is at 75-80% humidity at all times and I have a mister to make that happen.

Ask all the questions you need! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
What substrate are you using? Its hard to tell in the pic. Is it reptisand?

Does the bulb you have provide UVB?

How often do you feed him?

The temps sound good.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
mctlong said:
What substrate are you using? Its hard to tell in the pic. Is it reptisand?

Does the bulb you have provide UVB?

How often do you feed him?

The substrate is EcoEarth
The basking bulb provides both UVA and UVB.
I feed him everyday and make sure that he never runs out of food. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
You've got me stumped, Love4tortoises. Under the conditions you've described, he should be growing. The major contributors to growth are temps, hydration, UV, and diet.

Soaking him daily, instead of 3-4 times a week, might help a bit.

Hmmm...
What about a possible compaction? Does he poop everyday and does he have a good appetite?

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
mctlong said:
You've got me stumped, Love4tortoises. Under the conditions you've described, he should be growing. The major contributors to growth are temps, hydration, UV, and diet.

Soaking him daily, instead of 3-4 times a week, might help a bit.

How often does he get outside?

Hmmm...
What about a possible compaction? Does he poop everyday and does he have a good appetite?

I am stumped myself, mctlong! I cannot figure it out! I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can for him to start growing!

I will try and soak him some more to see if that changes anything.
He gets outside about 3-4 days a week for a couple hours at a time. I let him roam around the yard as long as he wants.
He definitely poops everyday and has a great appetite... I fill his bowl every morning and it is usually pretty much empty by night... He isnt a huge fan of the mazuri yet, but I still offer it on his grass and clovers so he can get use to it.

Is there a way that he could just be a SUPER slow grower...? Even though all the conditions are spot on...? :(
I just really want to figure this out! :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
There is a chance that he could be a super slow grower, its just not that common. I completely understand wanting to figure this out. We all want to make sure our torts are happy and healthy.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
mctlong said:
There is a chance that he could be a super slow grower, its just not that common.

That is what I thought... :( *Sigh*. Im just frustrated and want to make sure that he is healthy and growing properly... I feel like I am missing something or like Im not doing something right and that is why he is not growing, but everything I have read and from what you have told me, I am actually doing everything right... :(

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
He might just be going through a slow phase. That happens to a tort I know every winter. It sounds like his conditions are optimal.

He sure is beautiful!

I almost didn't add this, but there are several fast-growing torts on here who are fed chopped up food. It could be coincidence. But you might try chopping up his food, since you're doing everything else right, and it certainly won't hurt him.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Could he have parasites? My sulcata was underweight at about 7 - 8 months. A fecal exam showed that he had pinworms. Once that was cleared up he really started to grow.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
EllieN said:
He might just be going through a slow phase. That happens to a tort I know every winter. It sounds like his conditions are optimal.

He sure is beautiful!

I almost didn't add this, but there are several fast-growing torts on here who are fed chopped up food. It could be coincidence. But you might try chopping up his food, since you're doing everything else right, and it certainly won't hurt him.

Thank you so much! I do everything I can for him to make him look as beautiful as possible! :) everything I feed him, I do chop up. I find it easier for him to eat because he is still so tiny. I cut the grass, the clovers, the danelions... Everything is chopped every morning for him before I leave for work. Any opinions or suggestions are much appreciated though! Thank you! :)

Dizisdalife said:
Could he have parasites? My sulcata was underweight at about 7 - 8 months. A fecal exam showed that he had pinworms. Once that was cleared up he really started to grow.

I wouldn't think he would have them, but then again, you never know... Would you suggest I take a fecal sample into the vet and have them check just in case? I guess it wouldn't hurt at all just to at least make sure that he doesn't... Maybe I will give that a try and then see what happens from there, I guess... Thank you!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.