Sulcata weight

Caitlinrosexx

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hello, my sulcata i around 6/7 months old and I’m kinda concerned about his weight. I have been weighing him everyday and doing his weight monthly he is currently 2.3 inches He went from 66g, then the next day he went to 57g so I started him on some Mazuri pellets and I gave him the correct amount for his weight then each day went up to 72g within a matter of days so I stopped the pellets as I was worried about him gaining to much weight too quickly and since stopping the pellets his weight has dropped to 67g. I’m unsure on what to do now. I’m unsure if to carry on with the pellets so he gains the weight back but he seems to be gaining weight too fast. Please help thank you!

Attachments

• E2D6B7F8-232D-4263-93FC-CB67A3BEF073.jpeg
    E2D6B7F8-232D-4263-93FC-CB67A3BEF073.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Caitlinrosexx

Manchester
Hello, my sulcata i around 6/7 months old and I’m kinda concerned about his weight. I have been weighing him everyday and doing his weight monthly he is currently 2.3 inches He went from 66g, then the next day he went to 57g so I started him on some Mazuri pellets and I gave him the correct amount for his weight then each day went up to 72g within a matter of days so I stopped the pellets as I was worried about him gaining to much weight too quickly and since stopping the pellets his weight has dropped to 67g. I’m unsure on what to do now. I’m unsure if to carry on with the pellets so he gains the weight back but he seems to be gaining weight too fast. Please help thank you!
I meant doing his length monthly*

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You will find his weight will vary quite a bit according to how much he has had to eat and drink in the day - just weigh him once a week, and don't panic. I don't think he will gain weight too fast, if he is fairly active - tortoises are not "greedy" like humans can be. If he is happy with the Mazuri, thereis no need to stop feeding them, but maybe a bit less, and more leaves,etc.
Are you in Manchester UK ?
Angie

Caitlinrosexx

Manchester
You will find his weight will vary quite a bit according to how much he has had to eat and drink in the day - just weigh him once a week, and don't panic. I don't think he will gain weight too fast, if he is fairly active - tortoises are not "greedy" like humans can be. If he is happy with the Mazuri, thereis no need to stop feeding them, but maybe a bit less, and more leaves,etc.
Are you in Manchester UK ?
Angie
Thank you for getting back to me! I think I’ll give him his pellets back how often should I give them? Every day, every other day or once or twice a week? Yes I’m in Manchester

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A few things:

1. 72 grams is very underweight for a 6/7 month old sulcata. They should be 300-500 grams at that age.
2. Almost no one starts them correctly, and I've not heard of one single breeder over there that starts them correctly. "They" also give the wrong housing and care advice.
3. Mazuri is fine to feed, but not every day.
4. There is no such thing as "gaining weight too fast" with tortoises that are housed, hydrated, and fed correctly. That is old incorrect info.
5. They can poop 10 grams or more at that size. They can also eat or drink 10 grams at that size. So if you weight your tortoise after a big poop, but before eating, it could weigh 20 grams less than when you weigh it a couple of days later after a couple of big meals and before pooping. Weigh your tortoise once a week. Weigh at the same time of day, and follow the same routine. For example: I always weigh mine in the afternoon after they have been eating all day, and after a soak. The food fills their bellies, and the soak empties their bowels, but also lets them take on water. I do it this way each time, and this gives me a more accurate picture of what weight the tortoise is actually gaining. You could also weigh in the morning before eating or soaking. Just do it the same way each time. Over time, you want steady growth.

Read this and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom:

Caitlinrosexx

Manchester
A few things:

1. 72 grams is very underweight for a 6/7 month old sulcata. They should be 300-500 grams at that age.
2. Almost no one starts them correctly, and I've not heard of one single breeder over there that starts them correctly. "They" also give the wrong housing and care advice.
3. Mazuri is fine to feed, but not every day.
4. There is no such thing as "gaining weight too fast" with tortoises that are housed, hydrated, and fed correctly. That is old incorrect info.
5. They can poop 10 grams or more at that size. They can also eat or drink 10 grams at that size. So if you weight your tortoise after a big poop, but before eating, it could weigh 20 grams less than when you weigh it a couple of days later after a couple of big meals and before pooping. Weigh your tortoise once a week. Weigh at the same time of day, and follow the same routine. For example: I always weigh mine in the afternoon after they have been eating all day, and after a soak. The food fills their bellies, and the soak empties their bowels, but also lets them take on water. I do it this way each time, and this gives me a more accurate picture of what weight the tortoise is actually gaining. You could also weigh in the morning before eating or soaking. Just do it the same way each time. Over time, you want steady growth.

Read this and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom:
It’s so crazy they should weigh that everything I’ve read online says something different it’s honestly so confusing

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It’s so crazy they should weigh that everything I’ve read online says something different it’s honestly so confusing
Tom is a real expert, so if you follow what he says, you will do well. He has had a huge amount of experience with sulcatas.
I live in Devon, and we have a Hermanns, who is nearly 23.Will you have a big enough area in Manchester for your little one when he grows big?
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the thread I linked, this is explained.

I've hatched thousands of them, and quite a few other species too. I've been doing all sorts of experiments to determine what works best and why, while learning and observing what doesn't work as well for me and other people. Most info sources are simply parroting the old wrong info that they learned years ago. That is what I used to do too, but it just doesn't work well, produces poor results, and no one seemed to be able to tell me why those methods failed, or what actually DID work. After almost two decades of frustration, I started trying to figure it out for myself around 2007. Experiments began around 2010, and with lots of effort, study and input from many people and many sources, we have come a long way. Most of the tortoise keeping world has no idea about any of this, though that is gradually changing.

Pák

Esztergom
According to the picture what you posted above, you did not change anything what we recommented since april :(

Just to show you what is achievable under this 1.5 month period:

4.19 60g:
4.19 60g.jpg

5.11 83g:
5.11 83g.jpg

And today(06.09) 117g:

06.09 117g.jpg

He is 3 month old today, i am doing everything to the best of my ability, after the care sheet and tons of knowledge what you can find here: humydity 80%+, heat above 80F, access to sunshine, lots of weeds, greens, twice a week not fruits but tortoise pellets for fun.

Caitlinrosexx

Manchester
According to the picture what you posted above, you did not change anything what we recommented since april :(

Just to show you what is achievable under this 1.5 month period:

4.19 60g:
View attachment 357779

5.11 83g:
View attachment 357780

And today(06.09) 117g:

View attachment 357781

He is 3 month old today, i am doing everything to the best of my ability, after the care sheet and tons of knowledge what you can find here: humydity 80%+, heat above 80F, access to sunshine, lots of weeds, greens, twice a week not fruits but tortoise pellets for fun.
I have actually changed a lot of things since the last post in April. That’s just an old picture which I find really cute. I have changed his viverium I have 80%+ humidity, I have temperature above 80f and a good temp at night. He doesn’t have access to sunshine currently as I am having my garden re done for him. He had lots of weeds too. He also gets a 30+ minute soak every day. I am also doing everything I can possibly do to give him the best life.

Pák

Esztergom
That sound very well, than you just dont update us :)). You need to accept unstopable fast growing week after week.

1686308692300.png

Guts

Tennessee
My girl was this size at the same age from improper care before i got her, using Toms info she’s now above average. What I mean is they can bounce back wonderfully!