Not gaining weight

kyel3840

Location (City and/or State)
Bethany , Oklahoma
I have 1 tortoise that's only gained 3 grams and the other 2 are the same weight for the third week in a row. I have them in an enclosed chamber and soak them daily. It's 86 ambient and 100 degree basking with an Arcadia 12% for uvb. The humidity stays between 90 and 93%.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's possibly it is getting bullied and not being allowed to eat as much as it wants. Even though you have more then a pair, there can still be bullying. What size is the enclosure? I used a 2x4 for just one leopard hatchling.
Set him up by himself and see if things change. I would also keep a very close eye on the other two.

Relic

Here
I would try and incorporate either live plants or artificial plants to make the habitat more natural - it is very open, and that openness might increase the stress level of the tortoises and inhibit feeding. Perhaps even try feeding in a "secluded" situation: under an overhanging plant, partial hide box, etc. I think the key is to try a variety of feeding schemes until you hit on one that works.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your enclosure looks way too dry. What are you using for substrate? I definitely prefer fine grade orchid bark. I know you believe your humidity is at 90%, but with a temperature in the enclosure of 86°, if your room temp is 84° or lower, you would have condensation on the glass doors. Humidity makes a huge difference in the way a young tortoise will do.

Depending upon your room temperature, with the enclosure on the floor, ensure that the corners and all spots in the enclosure do not ever go below 80°. It doesn't look like the enclosure is insulated. Next to a drafting fireplace and door, there will be a significant heat loss there. Do you check all sections of your enclosure with a heat gun?

As mentioned above, plants they can hide beneath makes a huge difference as well. A young tortoise would never be out in the open naturally. It would remain hidden deep in grass clumps and dug in beneath bushes. The overhanging branches of a boston fern, for example, not only provides cover, but it also creates a hide where the humidity will stay at almost 100%.

Make the changes and ensure the humidity and temps are correct throughout the enclosure and see how they do for a few weeks. There is also a chance that your tortoises were also started too dry by the breeder. Can you post some good pictures of your tortoises to see how they have grown to this point? That would help give an idea of their start.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
what humidity measurer are you using?? It doesn't look that humid in there but it might just be the picture. Usually the glass gets foggy or starts to drip.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
My enclosure was really open. I noticed mine stopped eating a lil, I put some live grass patches, he started gaining some weight

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
Lately it's been cold outside here. I live in Oklahoma. So right now he just gets his uvb from the Arcadia 12%. I soak him for 30 minutes every morning

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Lately it's been cold outside here. I live in Oklahoma. So right now he just gets his uvb from the Arcadia 12%. I soak him for 30 minutes every morning
hm. Weird everything seems right. maybe you should just wait for him to pull through.