Correct method for checking humidity

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
I would like to know what methods are best used to measure humidity inside of an enclosure.

By definition, relative humidity is "the amount of water vapor present in air expressed as a percentage of the amount needed for saturation at the same temperature."

Hence when I measure the ambient temperature of my enclosure, I get 82F and 80% RH. The same enclosure, under the basking light reads 95F and 50ish% RH. This makes perfect sense....

So the question is, when measuring for a tortoise enclosure, which location is ideal for measuring humidity?

Furthermore, even in the ambient location, how "vertical" do you measure? The difference between the substrate level and 12" higher is some 10%RH.

Thanks in advance for inputs!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To measure humidity you need a Hygrometer. The best ones are the digital ones with a probe.

Humidity in a closed chamber should be pretty much the same wherever you measure it.

The worst type of Hygrometer is an analogue (dial) one. Those that are combined with thermometers don't do either job particularly well.

To measure temperature we recommend a digital temperature gun type thermometer that can make accurate spot measurements at tortoise level.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use the measurement in the area of my enclosure between lights and not under the CHE. I mount it at tortoise height. I believe the useful measurement for me is the average ambient where the tortoise will be. I know it is higher in the hides and lower under basking. My enclosure also varies from about 90f ambient daytime and 81f night. So the humidity is normally 11% higher at night. That is humidity of normally 78% daytime and 89% night.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I use the measurement in the area of my enclosure between lights and not under the CHE. I mount it at tortoise height. I believe the useful measurement for me is the average ambient where the tortoise will be. I know it is higher in the hides and lower under basking. My enclosure also varies from about 90f ambient daytime and 81f night. So the humidity is normally 11% higher at night. That is humidity of normally 78% daytime and 89% night.

This is more or less what I was looking for. Thanks!