Correct temps for a Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machin

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, After lots of searching on the internet and being told loads of different answers! I would be very grateful if someone can please tell me the correct temps for my Leopard "Sherman" so I know he is as comfortable as possible!:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What is your set up like? Do you have high humidity throughout your enclosure? How old is your leopard?

If you have high humidity, 75 - 80 seems to be the cut off low point before you start seeing respiratory issues with any type of tortoise in that environment. A high of 100 - 105 is acceptable. So anywhere between there is where you want them if you have lots of humidity.

If your humidity is lower, then nights in the 60's and low 70's is perfectly fine. As long as they can elevate their temperatures during the day.

Machin

5 Year Member
View attachment 19670
Neal said:
What is your set up like? Do you have high humidity throughout your enclosure? How old is your leopard?

If you have high humidity, 75 - 80 seems to be the cut off low point before you start seeing respiratory issues with any type of tortoise in that environment. A high of 100 - 105 is acceptable. So anywhere between there is where you want them if you have lots of humidity.

If your humidity is lower, then nights in the 60's and low 70's is perfectly fine. As long as they can elevate their temperatures during the day.
DSC02058.JPG
I have only had him for 2 weeks and he is 14 months old, I was told to keep him in an open table rather than a viv because of air circulation but after reading lots on here I don't think I am providing enough humidity as his house is rather dry ( he is in rabbit type cage as I didn't want my little boy picking him up!), I was also told to leave his basking lamp on 24/7! I am having problems feeding him also as he has been brought up on a diet of just lettuce! now I'm trying to get him on his correct diet but he's having none of it, I have been putting down fresh grass and weeds ect for the last 2 days and he has not eaten any of it:( I just want to make sure I'm providing the best environment I can for him.

Machin said:
Neal said:

I have only had him for 2 weeks and he is 14 months old, I was told to keep him in an open table rather than a viv because of air circulation but after reading lots on here I don't think I am providing enough humidity as his house is rather dry ( he is in rabbit type cage as I didn't want my little boy picking him up!), I was also told to leave his basking lamp on 24/7! I am having problems feeding him also as he has been brought up on a diet of just lettuce! now I'm trying to get him on his correct diet but he's having none of it, I have been putting down fresh grass and weeds ect for the last 2 days and he has not eaten any of it:( I just want to make sure I'm providing the best environment I can for him.

I have also tried chopping it all up smaller, I soaked him this afternoon and put him in front of it and he just turned away went back under his lamp and off to sleep he went :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would recommend removing that pot and putting in a proper humid hide. One can easily and cheaply be made by using a Tupperware container or plastic container or something, just make sure that the sides are opaque. Fill that up with some sphagnum moss and you should be good to go. With the humid hide, you're going to want to make sure the temps don't drop below 75 - 80 in the hide.

I would soak him for at least 10 minutes on a daily basis. Splash some water on his shell when you do. This should help keep him hydrated and growing smooth.

What are your current temperatures like?

I know this isn't part of your question, but just to give you a heads up...you're going to get some flak here with that coil light. I'm not going to tell you it's bad, but there were a lot of reports a few years ago that those caused damage to the eyes of reptiles...FYI. There are better lighting alternatives.

Machin

5 Year Member
Neal said:
I would recommend removing that pot and putting in a proper humid hide. One can easily and cheaply be made by using a Tupperware container or plastic container or something, just make sure that the sides are opaque. Fill that up with some sphagnum moss and you should be good to go. With the humid hide, you're going to want to make sure the temps don't drop below 75 - 80 in the hide.

I would soak him for at least 10 minutes on a daily basis. Splash some water on his shell when you do. This should help keep him hydrated and growing smooth.

Thanks, the temps are currently 23C in the cool end, 26C in the warm end and 35C under his lamp.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Machin. As for your feeding, try mixing some of the lettuce that he likes with the foods you want him to eat. Hopefully, he will then recognize the new stuff as food. Once he starts eating some of it, gradually reduce the lettuce and increase the good stuff.

Machin

5 Year Member
Neal said:

I know this isn't part of your question, but just to give you a heads up...you're going to get some flak here with that coil light. I'm not going to tell you it's bad, but there were a lot of reports a few years ago that those caused damage to the eyes of reptiles...FYI. There are better lighting alternatives.

I am looking into getting a proper strip uv light already, I only have that one as it's the same as what the breeder had!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with Joy, that usually seems to be the most effective method with a picky eater.

What type of lettuce? Some lettuces are actually good for them as part of a varied diet.

Machin

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
Hi Machin. As for your feeding, try mixing some of the lettuce that he likes with the foods you want him to eat. Hopefully, he will then recognize the new stuff as food. Once he starts eating some of it, gradually reduce the lettuce and increase the good stuff.

Thanks, this is what I'm trying to do, but he literally spits out what he doesn't like! :(

Neal said:
I agree with Joy, that usually seems to be the most effective method with a picky eater.

What type of lettuce? Some lettuces are actually good for them as part of a varied diet.

It's more italian type lettuce he likes, the red edged leaf stuff so have been growing it in his enclosure so he has some fresh stuff available all the time, I just want to try and get him eating what he is supposed to. I am trying all sorts but he does go to take a bite then spits it back out! he is a cheeky little devil!

Neal said:

Hi there, I have just weighed and measured him, He is 70g and 2.5 inches, is this right for a 14 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.