Correct UVB for Western Hermanns

MakJ

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello! I am switching from a compact 10.0 uvb bulb and want to switch to a linear uvb light fixture. What would you recommend for a Western Hermann’s? I am looking into the 12% Arcadia light, would that work? I also have an 18in tall enclosure and want to know how much distance needs to be from the light fixture to the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it will work and it should say in the bulb package the distance it should be

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! I am switching from a compact 10.0 uvb bulb and want to switch to a linear uvb light fixture. What would you recommend for a Western Hermann’s? I am looking into the 12% Arcadia light, would that work? I also have an 18in tall enclosure and want to know how much distance needs to be from the light fixture to the tortoise.
Hello!
Arcadia ProT5 are really good and ZooMed Reptisun on the second place. For Hermann's Desert 12% is a good option. However, optimal distance between the lamp and substrate is 18-19" (less than 15" is unsafe). If you use a plastic container as enclosure, you may need to make a cutout in the lid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 12% Arcadia HO is the best on the market in my experience, but an 18 inch ceiling can't accommodate it. The bulb itself will stick down another couple of inches even if you mount it directly to the ceiling, and that might be a little too close. Do you have a meter to check the UV level with? My 12% Arcadia HO tubes have to be mounted around 20 inches from the substrate to keep the UVI around 3-5. At 16 inches, the level would be 8 or 9 and that is a little too high.

For this reason, I think the ZooMed 10.0 HO tube will work better for your needs.

The UV should only be on for a few hours mid day, so be sure you have ample ambient lighting to keep it bright and "sunny" all day when the UV isn't on.