Could it be?

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Day 71 I haven't been giving my eggs very much humidity because of how much they plumped out over the last couple days. Today they are scary plump [emoji32] I don't know if its normal for them to swell, I'll attach a pic as well, they are practically round not oblong (bit of a exaggeration lol). I'm not sure if they are getting so big that the eggs are rounding out due to the babies shells? Or I did something wrong here ? I'm praying they are just big babies. All I see candling is a big ol shadow very few veins now: I can kind of see yolk on bottom and it's maybe size of a nickel; it's not very big. Not sure how well you can see but I tried to capture how plump and if you look closely you can see one of the "scratches I am talking about"1566752046991.jpeg1566752080989.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I think my babies are having trouble pipping, I go to the spot where they have tried to break the shell and I make a very tiny hole so the baby can breathe. Sometimes the inner membrane is very tough and it dries out quickly, causing the baby to have trouble getting out. He eventually dies. You must be careful when making your tiny hole because if the blood vessels haven't closed off yet you may cause bleeding.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
When I think my babies are having trouble pipping, I go to the spot where they have tried to break the shell and I make a very tiny hole so the baby can breathe. Sometimes the inner membrane is very tough and it dries out quickly, causing the baby to have trouble getting out. He eventually dies. You must be careful when making your tiny hole because if the blood vessels haven't closed off yet you may cause bleeding.
I have been questioning for the last few days if I should make a tiny hole so they can breathe. Is swelling like that normal for hatching eggs? And there is what appears to be a crack or something ? I circled it in green. Is that the baby pipping? I'm very sorry for all the questions, I would rather ask them then be ignorant and think I know the answers myself. IMG_20190825_120539.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to say the swelling might possibly be gasses from a dead baby. If it were me, I'd break open the end where the pipping has started.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I'm sorry to say the swelling might possibly be gasses from a dead baby. If it were me, I'd break open the end where the pipping has started.
Okay I just tapped on the egg now that o saw your comment and their moving around. Should I cut it open to see why they haven't fully busted through yet? I got scared for a sec when you said that. It makes sense. I have no idea why else they would be so swollen. I did just watch both of them babies move around

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I will be popping a hole here soon. Hopefully he's alive and gonna pop right out for me. Very nervous.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
He has a very big yolk. He's fully developed he has his egg beak. I'm not sure if I take him out of this membrane thing to? He had a bunch of holes in his egg shell when we started. 1566766433410.jpeg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Hes doing very well. I have him sitting on moist paper towels. I touched his little foot and he bit at me so I think he is gonna be okay. I've watched him take breaths already. As you can see he is tiny but so far he's doing very well. I did not cut the other one open. Not sure why the eggs are so swelled up as he's not very big. Wish him luck guysimage-2019-08-25-16-38-35.jpegimage-2019-08-25-16-38-32.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you didn't make a mistake removing him totally from the shell. I would have just made a hole in the end where his head is and leave the rest of the shell around him. This protects the yolk until it is absorbed.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I won't be touching anymore. Cant believe I did that. I freaked out. It started leaking goop out and didnt think it would be able to breathe.. I feel so crappy about it. He's doing good. He's moving around breathing good. I hope he makes it so I don't feel any worse

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
If the yolk sac stayed intact, this premie might have a chance...Rule of thumb, babies can take up to a week from the 1st pip to fully emerge from the egg. I feel for you and I know this is not what you wanted. Time will will only tell if it will make it or not. Keep it on the moist paper towels, don’t handle it, keep it in the incubator, and hopefully it can absorb the needed nutrients from the yolk sac...best of luck!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
If the yolk sac stayed intact, this premie might have a chance...Rule of thumb, babies can take up to a week from the 1st pip to fully emerge from the egg. I feel for you and I know this is not what you wanted. Time will will only tell if it will make it or not. Keep it on the moist paper towels, don’t handle it, keep it in the incubator, and hopefully it can absorb the needed nutrients from the yolk sac...best of luck!
Oh God thank you so much for saying that. That made me have hope. His yolk sac is fully intact it seems to have shrunk a bit from last night not much but a little bit. He's breathing good still and moving around. I am praying this little guy pulls through. He is doing very well considering the circumstances. He has even nipped at me for touching his foot. It was very cute lol thank you again for giving me some hope for this little fella.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Okay sadly he died.. I went to check on him and he had moved his head into the paper towels and I think he couldn't breathe once got his nose in the paper towels.. sorry guys. [emoji20][emoji37][emoji31]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's so sad. But the extra large yolk tells you the other eggs would be premature too. They've got a while yet to go.