Could They Be Friends?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Realistically Gillian, you live in an apartment. Your cat would, I assume, have to live indoors at all times like your tort. Not all cats enjoy cuddles and there's no way of telljng how yours would turn out. Is a cat best for where you live and your lifestyle? Only you know that... and no amount of BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS can help us to help you with that decision.
Once again, thank you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Gillian, only just seen this
Tortoises don't need or want friends, as we know, not even other tortoises, so there's no way one is going to become 'friends' with a cat, the best you can hope for is mutual indifference, the worst, well that involves stress and physical injury.
If you get a cat it is going to be for your benefit, not Oli's and you will have to ensure that Oli's quality of life is not reduced by this trespasser on his territory. And also of course that the kitten, which will quickly become a cat with who knows what sort of personality is kept happy too.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Tortoises don't need or want friends, as we know, not even other tortoises, so there's no way one is going to become 'friends' with a cat, the best you can hope for is mutual indifference, the worst, well that involves stress and physical injury.
If you get a cat it is going to be for your benefit, not Oli's and you will have to ensure that Oli's quality of life is not reduced by this trespasser on his territory. And also of course that the kitten, which will quickly become a cat with who knows what sort of personality is kept happy too.
My friends friends tort is best friends with a Blind rescued hedge hog, they even sleep in a little hut together

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My friends friends tort is best friends with a Blind rescued hedge hog, they even sleep in a little hut together
Nice story, but I don't think they're actually friends.
The blind hedgehog probably just thinks there's a rock in it's sleeping place and the tort may use the hedgehog as a sort of heat blanket.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He wants the cat for himself not his tortoise. The cat will not get in his territory because it will be cat proofed right Guillian?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He wants the cat for himself not his tortoise. The cat will not get in his territory because it will be cat proofed right Guillian?
Oh if I do get a kitten/cat, then Oli's enclosure will definitely be 'cat-proof', I'd have to be extremely careful, cautious, you name it. Aslo yes: I want the cat for myself not for Oli.

P.S: I'm a 'she' NOT a 'he'!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As a member posted, I want the cat for myself not for Oli, and Oli is the one worrying me: do want anyone or anything to hurt/harm/annoy Oli. However, we also know that torts are not much of a company to their owners-sorry tort owners-this is the truth. Ok, I feed Oli give him a warm soak, he roams around, we go out for a walk, but that's about all. A cat on the other hand can be cuddled, picked up, carried around etc. Know what I mean?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh if I do get a kitten/cat, then Oli's enclosure will definitely be 'cat-proof', I'd have to be extremely careful, cautious, you name it. Aslo yes: I want the cat for myself not for Oli.

P.S: I'm a 'she' NOT a 'he'!
Ooops! Sorry. When you get your kitty take pictures and let us see it. There are plenty of cats people here that will give you all the advice you need.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ooops! Sorry. When you get your kitty take pictures and let us see it. There are plenty of cats people here that will give you all the advice you need.
Don't worry, no problem.

Ok, wait till I get that cat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As a member posted, I want the cat for myself not for Oli, and Oli is the one worrying me: do want anyone or anything to hurt/harm/annoy Oli. However, we also know that torts are not much of a company to their owners-sorry tort owners-this is the truth. Ok, I feed Oli give him a warm soak, he roams around, we go out for a walk, but that's about all. A cat on the other hand can be cuddled, picked up, carried around etc. Know what I mean?
Yes. On this I 100% agree.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have always wanted a dog, but because I am in work didn't want to leave it shut in on its own all day.
I need a dog to walk while I'm looking for dandelions so that I don't look too odd scouring the lanes on my own.
So I've offered to take an elderly couple's dog walkies - a win, win, win situation for all of us!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have always wanted a dog, but because I am in work didn't want to leave it shut in on its own all day.
I need a dog to walk while I'm looking for dandelions so that I don't look too odd scouring the lanes on my own.
So I've offered to take an elderly couple's dog walkies - a win, win, win situation for all of us!
Hi Lyn how are you? And how's Lola? Hope you're both doing GREAT.

You want a dog for your walks, while I want a kitten/cat for more company.

By the way, I was out with Oli for a 'walk' this afternoon, when a lady stopped to ask if the tort was mine. I confirmed. 'How about getting a.... parrot?'she suggested. 'That would keep you MUCH MORE company than a tortoise.' Mind you, I don't know her, so she knows absolutely nothing about me."Goodness!' I thought.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lyn how are you? And how's Lola? Hope you're both doing GREAT.

You want a dog for your walks, while I want a kitten/cat for more company.

By the way, I was out with Oli for a 'walk' this afternoon, when a lady stopped to ask if the tort was mine. I confirmed. 'How about getting a.... parrot?'she suggested. 'That would keep you MUCH MORE company than a tortoise.' Mind you, I don't know her, so she knows absolutely nothing about me."Goodness!' I thought.
Hi Gillian We're fine thanks, Glad you and Oli can get out and about. It's very wet and colder again here so Lola hasn't been out today.

I can understand the cat for company reason. Parrots are quite funny if they are taught to talk but they are very noisy. My neighbours had one and it sounded as if it was in my house when it screeched. They eventually sold it as they even they couldn't stand the noise anymore. So I wouldn't recommend them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian We're fine thanks, Glad you and Oli can get out and about. It's very wet and colder again here so Lola hasn't been out today.

I can understand the cat for company reason. Parrots are quite funny if they are taught to talk but they are very noisy. My neighbours had one and it sounded as if it was in my house when it screeched. They eventually sold it as they even they couldn't stand the noise anymore. So I wouldn't recommend them.
Thanks very much your advice. NOISE is the the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. I've lived alone for so many years, I wouldn't put up with that. Just a question: couldn't a parrot be trained to 'keep quiet' so as to say? I wonder. But I'm 99% going for the cat/kitten.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks very much your advice. NOISE is the the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. I've lived alone for so many years, I wouldn't put up with that. Just a question: couldn't a parrot be trained to 'keep quiet' so as to say? I wonder. But I'm 99% going for the cat/kitten.
I'm not a parrot expert and could be completely wrong about this but I would think it is natural for a parrot to squawk, so don't think they could be trained to be quiet, Gillian. I think they get very bored too and do things like pull their feathers out which is quite sad to see.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm not a parrot expert and could be completely wrong about this but I would think it is natural for a parrot to squawk, so don't think they could be trained to be quiet, Gillian. I think they get very bored too and do things like pull their feathers out which is quite sad to see.
In that case I'd better stick to the cat/kitten, right?

Many thanks your reply.