stray kitten that my daughter brought in

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I think I posted earlier about the stray kitten that my daughter put in her room because she felt bad when the nights started getting cold. This was last week. I can't put him back outside after a week indoors. I cannot let him live here as I have a shih Tzu with bulging vulnerable eyes and he could lose an eye from cat claws. I cannot afford to get this kitten vetted and neutered. No rescue groups or shelters can/will take him. My life right now and this whole past year has been stressful and overwhelming. Now I'm dealing with this. I'm getting ready to shut down.

The only option I can think is too figure out how to build outdoor shelters and put him back outside. Unfortunately, he loves people though.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Cats and dogs can learn to live together. Your shih Tzu will defend itself and set up boundaries if the kitten gets too rambunctious.
I agree with that with any other breed of dog. With any other facial structure. Not with a shih Tzu with bulging, vulnerable eyes. We've dealt with eye ulcers a couple times already. Besides, I have no money to test, vaccinate, or neuter this kitten.

I had cats and dogs that lived together before so I do agree with that normally.

Delilah1623

If you have facebook you could post to see if anyone could give her a home and also ask your friends to "share" the post.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've done that. There are soooo many cats and kittens out there needing homes, and not many who want to adopt. Which is why rescues and shelters cannot take him.

Delilah1623

You could try Craigslist or maybe asking around at work or putting fliers up at a vets office or local pet stores.

It's hard with so many cats out there. I volunteered at a Spay Day for feral cat colonies put on by a local rescue. We did 98 cats in one day. Is there maybe a similar program by you? They do cheap spays, neuters and vaccinate for much cheaper than a regular vet visit. It operates like an assembly line. Sounds a little harsh but it is made up of animal loving volunteers and they are in good hands. Also some humane societies will help with low cost treatment as well. That way if you do decide to return him outside at least he won't be adding to the problem.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd love to another cat, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't work out right now :(
There really are, though, way too many cats out there needing homes! I just want that barn full of adopted cats! :mad::<3::D Maybe try and find a no-kill shelter?
Also agree with the above, the SPCA building by us has a 10+$ (more for adults, really feral cats, and cats in heat) spay and neuter plan, so even if he does get released, he'll be just one cat :( (which sounds terrible, but in the long run, that really makes a dent)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'd love to another cat, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't work out right now :(
There really are, though, way too many cats out there needing homes! I just want that barn full of adopted cats! :mad::<3::D Maybe try and find a no-kill shelter?
Also agree with the above, the SPCA building by us has a 10+$ (more for adults, really feral cats, and cats in heat) spay and neuter plan, so even if he does get released, he'll be just one cat :( (which sounds terrible, but in the long run, that really makes a dent)
I have tried all shelters and rescues. Rescues do not have space and shelters have a waiting list with people who have been waiting since May.

JAYGEE

I have tried all shelters and rescues. Rescues do not have space and shelters have a waiting list with people who have been waiting since May.
Wow, thats crazy. The shelter I work at usually takes in between 75-150 animals a day. I wish we could put people on a waiting list to surrender animals.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow! I've never given an animal to a shelter (even though I know of a few!) and I've never heard of a waiting list, that's just terrible :confused: Think of how many owners are forced to turn elsewhere (such as release, kill shelters and other) :confused::(

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I think I posted earlier about the stray kitten that my daughter put in her room because she felt bad when the nights started getting cold. This was last week. I can't put him back outside after a week indoors. I cannot let him live here as I have a shih Tzu with bulging vulnerable eyes and he could lose an eye from cat claws. I cannot afford to get this kitten vetted and neutered. No rescue groups or shelters can/will take him. My life right now and this whole past year has been stressful and overwhelming. Now I'm dealing with this. I'm getting ready to shut down.

The only option I can think is too figure out how to build outdoor shelters and put him back outside. Unfortunately, he loves people though.
Sorry to hear of your predicament. What about facebook? Ask friends and family to help spread the word. Good luck.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Apparently my brother and his partner are going to take him. My only worry is they have two 14 year old cats so I'm hoping he doesn't annoy them too much in his kitten play!

Maggie, that is awesome of you. I wouldn't have a clue of how to ship a kitten though! he is beautiful. He's an approximate 4 to 4.5 month old male. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• malekitten.jpg
    malekitten.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 23