Couple questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey I was just wondering about a few things. This is my first winter coming up with my Leo. I was wondering if he will start sleeping more often be lazier kinda thing. Or will he slow it down? Second I was wondering about sulcatta foods the website. Is it a good source of food for the winter. I'm up here in canada and have trouble finding the best variety of food. Dandelion sometimes. Romaine Squash escarole kale collards. Is basically all I have from the store. And last what do you guys think about the monsoon from exoterra just for the tortoises moisture area for when I ant water him and his substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you keep his temps up and his light cycles the same, he should continue with normal activity.

Your variety of foods sounds okay. How about some Mazuri? How about growing some of your own food? Spineless opuntia grows very well in pots.

I looked up the monsoon. Looks okay to me. I've never used something like that before.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Where can I get soMe opuntia to grow. And ya I was think the sucatta foods site ordering seed. I keep trying to sneak him mazuri won't eat it. Maybe it's just me but seems to me he is sleeping more. He still gets up and eats all his food or most. As soon as he hears the food ripping into pieces he is up right away. I'm not home some of the day so maybe it's justme. Heat and light have not changed. 90 hot spot. 80 in cold.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have been thinking about the monsoon myself. My big concern with it is that the water is not heated so it does have the risk of drastically dropping the temperature. I have been looking at hot mist humidifier's too.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Hmm never thought of it. What if you put hot water in the monsoon. Or even a reptile water heater

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
tyguy35 said:
Hmm never thought of it. What if you put hot water in the monsoon. Or even a reptile water heater
I don't think the water would stay hot for long. The monsoon is programmable and has a pretty big water dispensary so it can go off at the predetermined interval's. I think the water would lose heat pretty fast between spray's.

You mentioned that your tort does not like mazuri. Have you tried soaking it in warm water and spreading it like a paste over mixed greens? That is the only way my tort's will eat it.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I have tried soaking it and mixing it with his food but never tried spreading it like a paste. I shall do that.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My Leos do tend to slow down a lot more in winter, but they also stay in the garage so the temps are lower than usual. A few heat lamps and a sun light and they seem to do well but definitely not as active as when outside.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I got my last mazuri holdout to try it by finely chopping her favorite greens and mixing them thoroughly with mazuri mush. She will now eat the mazuri straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.