Crab fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
We had to hunt around town for a few weeks to find any sort of hermit crab, which turns out is a tree crab not a hermit, close though! Any how, we find a bunch, pick the smallest and most active, put it in her enclosure and what happens? It runs and tunnels and has yet to come out. It's been 2 days. So I spent about $10 on a grounds keeper that's so far been a shut in (or hermit har har.)
Echo hasn't even gotten a look at the thing yet, haha.

Erimis

5 Year Member
Crabs bury to destress or molt. If molting, can be up to a month before coming out. And crabs like company- you'll need a few more :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Madkins007 said:
Are these wild crabs?

ALL crabs are wild crabs, at least hermits or those that live in snail shells. They spawn in the sea, and as of yet it has not been accomplished to properly simulate the tides and all of the tiny zooplankton that the free swimming crab larvae feed on. Therefore, they are all wild caught.

Your crab is probably coming out at night, and if not, will once it become more comfortable.

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
I once caught a wild caught hermit crab but i wished i didn't becuz it died after we took it home~ I wish i had released it back into hte wild where it lived....

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
It's maybe molting and will come out eventually. I have a lot of hermit crabs and today decided to get another when I was in the pet store. The girl that worked there put the crab in a plastic container and off I went. I ran an errand, got back into the car, and started driving before I noticed the crab was out of the container somewhere in the car. Took me a while but I finally found it, under the back seat. ..next time I'l ask them to tape the lid down, it is a fairly large one so got it off easily I guess lol

Masin said:
We had to hunt around town for a few weeks to find any sort of hermit crab, which turns out is a tree crab not a hermit, close though! Any how, we find a bunch, pick the smallest and most active, put it in her enclosure and what happens? It runs and tunnels and has yet to come out. It's been 2 days. So I spent about $10 on a grounds keeper that's so far been a shut in (or hermit har har.)
Echo hasn't even gotten a look at the thing yet, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.