Crawfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Pedro, CA
Caught some crawfish today n i noticed 1 had a lil parasite. Is there a way to fix this cuz i think they would look good and be benifitial in the tank. Any comments about the little worm? Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
NO...PLEASE DON'T PUT THEM IN WITH YOUR TURTLES....they will go after your turtle...the turtle will go after them....they grow and multiply at a rapid rate....they are not cool when added to a confined space such as a tank.....and the worm things only multiply......

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
Its part if dbts diet i thought? N im just gonna keep them alone in the spare 20gal

Part of*

wildak

5 Year Member
You can treat the crawfish with a crustacean safe parasite medication like the stuff you add to a fish tank. Afterwards I would totaly change the water a few times and give them enough time to get the medication out of their system before putting them in with any turtles. I would maybe clip the pincers if they are huge and you turtle is small.

If it's a part of their normal diet they won't benifit the tank for long since they will be eaten. I feel natural food is always better. Mutiple same sex will usually not end well as they will eat the compitition. I found them difficult to breed in captivity, they carry the eggs for a long time and then one day no eggs and no tiny crayfish. This just could be the species I was attemping to breed.

I have found a self cloning crayfish that I was thinking of trying as you only need one, they are much easier to keep, hatch and multiply much faster than your typical crayfish. They also don't eat their own young as all other species seem to.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The self cloning are marbled crayfish, I got some from another tfo member, my biggest problem with them is death during molting after they reach a larger size.I have 2 that are almost to cloning size that are still under a year old, (am checking daily for little ones)One of these I found inside a sponge filter when cleaning it, it had grown to large to get back out.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
wildak said:
You can treat the crawfish with a crustacean safe parasite medication like the stuff you add to a fish tank. Afterwards I would totaly change the water a few times and give them enough time to get the medication out of their system before putting them in with any turtles. I would maybe clip the pincers if they are huge and you turtle is small.

If it's a part of their normal diet they won't benifit the tank for long since they will be eaten. I feel natural food is always better. Mutiple same sex will usually not end well as they will eat the compitition. I found them difficult to breed in captivity, they carry the eggs for a long time and then one day no eggs and no tiny crayfish. This just could be the species I was attemping to breed.

I have found a self cloning crayfish that I was thinking of trying as you only need one, they are much easier to keep, hatch and multiply much faster than your typical crayfish. They also don't eat their own young as all other species seem to.

Ok cool ill check petco or online. I was thinking about clipping the pinchers because my turts would go pick at them no doubt. I found about 10 more worms also.

wildak

5 Year Member
The worms are a natural parasite on crayfish from what I understand most of them have it. I just don't know if it's a species specific parasite, if that were the case you wouldn't need to treat them. With a little research you may be able to figure it out.

Len said:
The self cloning are marbled crayfish, I got some from another tfo member, my biggest problem with them is death during molting after they reach a larger size.I have 2 that are almost to cloning size that are still under a year old, (am checking daily for little ones)One of these I found inside a sponge filter when cleaning it, it had grown to large to get back out.
Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.

I had trouble in the past from molting deaths as well. Crayfish are pretty fragile creatures and I think it has to do with the water temps, water hardness and amonia during molting but I'm sure there's other factors at play as well. I found the most improvement when I filtered my well water, used rainwater or creek water in the tank. I think my well water had too many minerals in it which made their exo-skeleton harder to shed.

Len let me know when you have a million of them I would like to try my hand at the marbled ones.

Bryan

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
wildak said:
The worms are a natural parasite on crayfish from what I understand most of them have it. I just don't know if it's a species specific parasite, if that were the case you wouldn't need to treat them. With a little research you may be able to figure it out.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.

I had trouble in the past from molting deaths as well. Crayfish are pretty fragile creatures and I think it has to do with the water temps, water hardness and amonia during molting but I'm sure there's other factors at play as well. I found the most improvement when I filtered my well water, used rainwater or creek water in the tank. I think my well water had too many minerals in it which made their exo-skeleton harder to shed.

Len let me know when you have a million of them I would like to try my hand at the marbled ones.

Bryan

Well i caught tgem from a nasty little park and im asuming they are parasites. The water was so murky. Ducks ruined that place.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I imagine the RES will try and eat them, mine eat whatever they can get a hold of, ( baby birds, possum babies, cray fish).

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
dmmj said:
I imagine the RES will try and eat them, mine eat whatever they can get a hold of, ( baby birds, possum babies, cray fish).

No doubt that my dbts will try to get them, they are soooo mischievious

Status
Not open for further replies.