Crazy shipping prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Tim/Robin said:
Unless you actually paid separately for the shipping, the amount you pay a breeder/broker/vendor is not necessarily the actual cost of shipping. Some will say $35 for shipping and raise the price of the tortoise to offset the loss in shipping. Shipping overnight is not cheap!

My shipping cost was very well worth having my tort shipped quickly and safely!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Robyn@TRR said:
...As for costs, when you think about it, the ability to take a live reptile from a house in San Diego to a house in upstate New York overnight, in less than 24 hours, is really a remarkable achievement. To have those reptiles delivered safely, healthy, that is actually well worth the cost...

Actually, I drop off my packages at 6:15 pm in Arizona, and they are usually delivered by 6:30 am (AZ time) the next morning on the east coast. The animal is only in the box for 12 hours! That still amazes me, and I never take it for granted. It is pretty unbelievable that this can be accomplished for the cost.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I also highly recommend www.shipyourreptiles.com to anyone who does not ship a lot of animals, or if you are not a certified live animal shipper. You will get the lowest rate available to you. Plus you won't be violating FedEx policies. Even if you are shipping to a residential address.

From personal experience (I think I have used them about 30 times), it is an excellent service. The one time I did have to make a claim due to a FedEx mistake, not theirs, the customer service was fast and professional.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
I couldn't begin to imagine the logistics that make the entire system work. That is a lot of planes, and trucks, and to coordinate all to make it happen in 12-18 hours, sheesh.

And thanks for the kind words of support. We really do bust our butts to make it a terrific experience!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I only want to buy a tortoise from a dealer and find the lowest shipping costs. Should i recommend reptile express or ship your reptiles to the dealer then, or find a dealer who ships already with them????

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Personally, I think you should find the best tortoise, from the best breeder, and not worry about what is ultimately a fairly insignificant difference in shipping cost. If the cheapest shipping cost you find is $35, and the most expensive is $75, that alone shouldn't be enough to cause you to buy a questionable animal from an unknown source.

A good breeder will not be taking advantage of you by inflating shipping charges. Some breeders have to pay more for shipping because they ship less animals so they don't get volume discounts. If they produce healthier animals because they have more time to spend doing things right, that extra cost is more than worth it.

Also, the shipping cost alone is pretty irrelevant. Many sellers DO raise the price of their animals so that they can offer really cheap shipping because they know that some people will focus on the shipping cost thinking it is a waste of money. If you buy identical torts, and one is $150 + $30 shipping, and the other is $120 + $60 shipping, would you feel that the $150 tortoise is better than the $120 tortoise?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not to state the obvious, but you can always go pick it up yourself. With the high cost of gas, shipping cost might seem like a good deal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DesertGrandma said:
Not to state the obvious, but you can always go pick it up yourself. With the high cost of gas, shipping cost might seem like a good deal.

GREAT point Joy.

I charge $50 for overnight shipping anywhere in the country. I'm fortunate to have a friend in the wholesale business who allows me to ship through his company. I don't know what I would have to charge if I was doing it myself. The $50 covers the cost of the insulated box, hot or cold packs and all shipping materials. It does NOT cover the cost of my 45-60 minute round trip or gas. I give that away for free. Using my friend gives me unbelievable peace of mind too. He knows where all the FedEx hubs are and checks the weather all along the route to make sure the tortoise is packaged correctly. He has decades of experience at it and ships dozens of animals all over the country every day. I wouldn't ship without him. The peace of mind he gives me is PRICELESS. I would still ship with him at twice the price.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
From a customer/buyer standpoint, I think the shipping costs are quite reasonable. We have to keep in mind that these are live animals. It is my belief that you can not put a price on safety. Extreme amounts of time and care are put into safely delivering our buddies to us. I am willing to pay the little extra if it means getting them to me alive and well.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
mattgrizzlybear said:
I'm looking like I'm an idiot. I thought I could get like 70 percent off because my dad works at FedEx and he could get discounts but there is a special license for shipping reptiles, so I couldn't get the discount. :(

Nobody thinks you're looking like an idiot! I do want to give you some food for thought though. I understand you thought you could use a discount and get things cheaper, but in the grand scheme of things, is $35 ,(70% discount off of $50) , that big of a deal? What will happen if the animal needs to see a vet, or needs new lighting? You should ask yourself if you are prepared to cover those costs when considering getting an animal. Just my two cents.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Laurie said:
mattgrizzlybear said:
I'm looking like I'm an idiot. I thought I could get like 70 percent off because my dad works at FedEx and he could get discounts but there is a special license for shipping reptiles, so I couldn't get the discount. :(

Nobody thinks you're looking like an idiot! I do want to give you some food for thought though. I understand you thought you could use a discount and get things cheaper, but in the grand scheme of things, is $35 ,(70% discount off of $50) , that big of a deal? What will happen if the animal needs to see a vet, or needs new lighting? You should ask yourself if you are prepared to cover those costs when considering getting an animal. Just my two cents.

no i'm looking like anidiot because when i said "34.95 and45.95 is crazy" everybody are like "that's not crazy its fairly normal"

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
learn something New every day. :)
and yes, the size and Shape of the box makes a huge difference! I got a square envelope in the mail with 'postage due' stamped on it. it was a reg size, 5x5.. but because of the shape it cost more to send. A bucket cost less to send, if you pack it in a box, they try to just put a label on it.. handling is different..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nobody thinks you look like an idiot Matt. It just looks like you haven't shipped any live animals overnight recently.

I bet you've got a pretty good handle on it now though, huh? :D

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
You certainly don't look like an idiot. At all for that matter. Actually you should be quite proud! Your question sparked a 3 page thread for everybody wondering the same question! You actually helped. A lot of people ask themselves the same question, you had the guts to ask the public! ;)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
blafiriravt said:
You certainly don't look like an idiot. At all for that matter. Actually you should be quite proud! Your question sparked a 3 page thread for everybody wondering the same question! You actually helped. A lot of people ask themselves the same question, you had the guts to ask the public! ;)

I agree with this 100%

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:
Nobody thinks you look like an idiot Matt. It just looks like you haven't shipped any live animals overnight recently.

I bet you've got a pretty good handle on it now though, huh? :D

ya thanks i kind of got it

blafiriravt said:

Status
Not open for further replies.