Crazy shipping prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Hi I wanted to know where is the place to get the cheapest shipping. All the prices I've seen are like 34.95, 45.95 it's crazy!!!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
That isn't crazy, it's actually fairly normal, especially for shipping live torts. They have to be shipped very quickly and efficiently. The breeder/seller is only asking you what the shipping company is asking them, and I know I would much rather have a live animal shipped by a professional for a little extra money than have it arrive dead because it wasn't handled properly.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have paid as much as $60 to ship torts.
I'd be happy with $30-40!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
$35-45 is on the low/average end of the scale. Like FLT said, that's just the rates for shipping overnight.

Try Reptile Express. They can offer an discounted rate and save you a little money.

Also, try to use as small as box as possible. Most rates are calculated by dimensional weight as opposed to actual weight. For example, a small box 12x10x8 weighing 3 lbs may be significantly lower than one 14x14x12 weighting only 2 lbs.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
It will also depend on where you are and where it is shipping from. The further it is the more it will ad to the price as well.

Even going through "ship your reptiles" (Fed-Ex) and getting the discount there it runs anywhere from $45 to $70 for me to ship out and that is for shipping babies in the smallest insulated box I can get which is only 6" x 6" x 5"

I had a UPS account and it was even more than Fed-Ex.

There are a few dealers that advertise lower shipping of around $35. They are able to get a "volume" discount because of the large amount of packages that they ship.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Hi I wanted to know where is the place to get the cheapest shipping. All the prices I've seen are like 34.95, 45.95 it's crazy!!!

Crazy? Really? Try $600, $800, $1000+ to ship Tortoise groups around the US and the world........

Average cost to ship a Adult Redfoot is between $60-$100 depending on size and weight, with my discount........

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I think when I got Cooper I only paid $20 to have him sent from Arizona to Indiana...

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
cemmons12 said:
I think when I got Cooper I only paid $20 to have him sent from Arizona to Indiana...

Not if it was "next day" thru Fed-Ex or UPS. If you ship 2nd day or 3rd day maybe.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
It may have been 25 or 30. So that I am not called out as a liar, I will find the receipt when I get home and post back the price I paid for him and the "Next Day Shipping" price. And Fed Ex had him at my door at 9:00 am just like they said they would.....

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
cemmons12 said:
It may have been 25 or 30. So that I am not called out as a liar, I will find the receipt when I get home and post back the price I paid for him and the "Next Day Shipping" price. And Fed Ex had him at my door at 9:00 am just like they said they would.....

Unless you actually paid separately for the shipping, the amount you pay a breeder/broker/vendor is not necessarily the actual cost of shipping. Some will say $35 for shipping and raise the price of the tortoise to offset the loss in shipping. Shipping overnight is not cheap!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had to pay $50.00 I am sure most of the time it is not the actual shipping cost. I am sure the shipper/breeder, adds in a few for materials, time and gas to get it to the ups/FEDX posts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The size of the box makes a big difference too. When shipping babies, I use the smallest possible box and the shipping price is around $50 to $75. That's UPS.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm looking like I'm an idiot. I thought I could get like 70 percent off because my dad works at FedEx and he could get discounts but there is a special license for shipping reptiles, so I couldn't get the discount. :(

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
I had to pay $50.00 I am sure most of the time it is not the actual shipping cost. I am sure the shipper/breeder, adds in a few for materials, time and gas to get it to the ups/FEDX posts.

Don't be so "sure". I actually eat the cost of the insulated box, ice or heat pack, time, insurance, etc...

Let alone take the hit for the paypal charge.

I really doubt I'm the only one doing that either.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Shipping is always the worst part about buying a new tortoise but it has to be done. $35 is actually extremely reasonable compared to some of the quotes I've gotten.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
CGKeith said:
wellington said:

Don't be so "sure". I actually eat the cost of the insulated box, ice or heat pack, time, insurance, etc...

Let alone take the hit for the paypal charge.

I really doubt I'm the only one doing that either.

This made me laugh because I have been basically eating all of those costs for years. Most of the prices people are quoting on this thread are less than the actual shipping cost on their shipments. I ship small boxes from Arizona all over the country. The CHEAPEST charge is to so cal for $40+. To the east coast it can be as much as $85.

I hate charging $60 for shipping, but I am still losing money on almost every shipment even without considering supplies/time/labor. I also sell my animals for the going price at a reptile show, so the price is not inflated to make up for the shipping. I just don't make much money.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
A lot of breeders charge a flat fee for shipping, making it as economical for the buyer as possible, and end up eating packaging costs, and often some of the shipping cost, for each shipment.

Most of those folks do NOT raise the price of the tortoise/reptile to offset that, it is just an accepted cost of doing business.

I think it is a greatly under-appreciated policy in the hobby. Kudos to those of you in the thread that make that choice.

As for costs, when you think about it, the ability to take a live reptile from a house in San Diego to a house in upstate New York overnight, in less than 24 hours, is really a remarkable achievement. To have those reptiles delivered safely, healthy, that is actually well worth the cost.

And yet the cost goes up at least 3% each year, and that is never pleasant regardless : )

Use the smallest box that you can safely pack your tortoise in, that makes a BIG difference in shipping cost.

A UPS store would be one of the MOST expensive choices for shipping. FedEx direct would be less than that. At ShipYourReptiles, rates are 20% off the FedEx rate, and can get cheaper as you add volume to your shipping account. But 20% right off the top makes a big difference.

We also offer On-Time and Live Arrival Insurance, the only one in the business that does, which can lend great peace of mind when shipping live reptiles and precious cargo.

For the most popular 12x9x6 box, shipping averages $55-$75, depending on distance. Coming on to post about $35-$45 shipping is kinda funny, because that price hasn't been common for perhaps 10 years. It's actually a great price : )

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
So if I was about to drop down to flat rate $29.95, I should hold off? ;)

I helped a friend today in Michigan ship a box overnight to TN and it saved her about $38 on my account. For anything less than a lot of shipping, ShipYourReptiles is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.