Creatures/insects in my vivarium

Macauley Pugh

Hello

im very new to here so im totally sorry if i have posted in the wrong place ive created a account on here because im worried about my Tortoise which is a Horsfield Tortoise the reason im here is because ive recently realized my tortoise is slightly unhappy because ive actually noticed some really and i mean really small white insect type things running around his food bowl and in his Tortoise sand, im just wondering if anyone has a idea on what that could be as its putting him off his apple and lettuce etc...and i dont want him to be getting harmed by these creatures as i care a lot for my tort and like him to be very happy in his vivarium

again im sorry if ive posted it wrong etc...im just really concerned at the moment
Thank you! :-')

Last edited:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
That should not effecting his app, but from what you wrote, I am wondering about his diet. Lettuce and apple are not good for him, especially the fruits. Too much sugar. Lettuce has almost no nutritious value. I would check your temperature, that is usually the reason for loss of appetite. They need a basking area of 95 with a gradual decline to around 70.

Here is a link on proper care for this tort
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Please read and make changes. If you already knew all this, I appologize, I'm just making sure.

For the bugs- this is a common issue. Take the tort out of the enclosure and poor boiling water over your bedding, substrate. Will kill them. Welcome to the forum. You will learn soooo much here:)

Macauley Pugh

That should not effecting his app, but from what you wrote, I am wondering about his diet. Lettuce and apple are not good for him, especially the fruits. Too much sugar. Lettuce has almost no nutritious value. I would check your temperature, that is usually the reason for loss of appetite. They need a basking area of 95 with a gradual decline to around 70.

Here is a link on proper care for this tort

Please read and make changes. If you already knew all this, I appologize, I'm just making sure.

For the bugs- this is a common issue. Take the tort out of the enclosure and poor boiling water over your bedding, substrate. Will kill them. Welcome to the forum. You will learn soooo much here:)

Thanks for the reply, i do know about other foods thats why i put Etc....but he really enjoys his lettuce and Apples you see so i tend to give him them slightly more cause i love him ;) yeah all the heating is sorted etc the man in the shop fitted all of his lighting for me so i don think i should worry about that, its not that ive just only recently noticed i just dont want to lose my tortoise to unknown bugs or whatever they are, do you actually know what the bugs are just so i can look them up? he will be getting his fresh Tort sand soon so i will do the Boiling water thing which is a great help so thank you very much for that :-')

Well ive already learnt one thing already ;)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You really should not give him fruit, and deff do not use sand. It causes eye scratches and internal damage. I am thinking that likemost of us here you were not informed on how to properly care for your little guy. I was given a tort that had improper heating, a diet of lettuce, no calcium and kept on dry sand ( all really bad) and he died from this neglect shortly after I rescued him. It broke my heart. I do not want you or your tort to go through that so please please read the care sheet. It is not about what he likes, I would eat icecream for every meal too, it doesn't mean its good for me. Ask manyof the experts on here, they will agree.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
By the way, the bugs are probably springtails and will not harm your tort. There are many many post on here about them, I had them too.

Macauley Pugh

Well im not going to contradict you so urm what are go foods for them because when i was in the shop i was also given some Calcium powder i think it is? the sand i use is the ProRep sand i cant remember what it is actually called now but it was definitely for tortoise but if you dont recommend it what else could i use to keep him well and happy? seems like im a really bad owner now so i need to get some advice on how to keep him happy, i was told Springtails its just id never seen them before and sort of worried but now im not :-')

Also no, the light i use is the Prorep 60W :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You are not a bad owner! This is the place to learn :) reptisand is still sand and should not be used for your tort. It is really common to get "old or bad" information from pet stores. I did! Bought a ton of stuff they told me I needed and it hurt my tort :( I have learned a ton on here and am always glad when someone comes here to learn like I did. Read this care sheet link. It will tell you everything you need to know on how to give hi a healthy happy life!

Also, this will tell you what kind of weeds you should and can feed him. A lot is out in your yard for free!
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

Go to the species section of this forum and look for the link for russian tortoise, you will find a ton on there. Post pics of your habitat if you can so we can help you make it better for him.

Macauley Pugh

I remember when i first got him i didn't use the sand then i used this Tortoise stuff which was sort of like a pellet shape obviously it wasnt pellets but it was similar shaped if you understand me? he did seem quite a lot happier on that than he did the sand, although it would not surprise me if i got told this just so they could make there money out of me...just dont want him to be a unhappy Tort, thats why i have so many pets

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Look at the links I gave you, make the changes, post pictures of his cage and you both should be fine

Macauley Pugh

On the first and second photograph what type of substrate is that, i think my tortoise would like that :)

Macauley Pugh

Hello again, i purchased those items in which you recommended and their on the way, but ive solved a problem well i hope his food bowl is where the 'Srpingtails' where hiding they must of bit or some how made wholes and were living in the design of the actual bowl, but all has been extremely cleaned and hopefully all is well, thanks for the great help again :-')