outdoor russian tortoise enclosure?

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
i want to do something like this http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Cheap,-Easy,-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure.14680/ and ill provide shade and everything obviously. i live in las vegas so its always extremely sunny and usually always 100 degrees+ and in august it gets to 110+. is there any possibility of him somehow overheating? like if he were to fall asleep in the sun somehow or can it just get too hot in general even in the shade? im a bit new to having a tortoise as ive only had him almost 2 months and ive never built him an outdoor enclosure. so i just wanna know if anything that im saying is actually possible because i dont wanna lose my tortoise!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Since you live in Las Vegas and the weather will be pretty good for a tortoise outside for many months I would suggest building a large permanent enclosure if you can. Your tortoise can survive just fine in those temperatures if they are allowed to dig down into a burrow and if deep shade is provided. Why enclosure is only 12 inches deep but it is also heavily planted and part of it is in the shade in the afternoon. I put in two thirds organic garden soil and one third Pete Moss which holds the moisture well. On really hot days I spray down the enclosure a couple times a day.
Check out the enclosure section for some ideas. The swimming pool idea could definitely work until you get a large enclosure built. But remember Russians climb and dig like crazy so I would suggest covering it with chicken wire or hardware cloth so that you can put enough substrate in it to allow him to burrow.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Since you live in Las Vegas and the weather will be pretty good for a tortoise outside for many months I would suggest building a large permanent enclosure if you can. Your tortoise can survive just fine in those temperatures if they are allowed to dig down into a burrow and if deep shade is provided. Why enclosure is only 12 inches deep but it is also heavily planted and part of it is in the shade in the afternoon. I put in two thirds organic garden soil and one third Pete Moss which holds the moisture well. On really hot days I spray down the enclosure a couple times a day.
Check out the enclosure section for some ideas. The swimming pool idea could definitely work until you get a large enclosure built. But remember Russians climb and dig like crazy so I would suggest covering it with chicken wire or hardware cloth so that you can put enough substrate in it to allow him to burrow.
alright!! thanks!! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Overheating is a very serious possibility IF you don't design and place the enclosure properly. You will need lots of shade, and you can also use shade cloth, plants, sprinklers, misters and soaks to keep him cool.

But even with all that, it is still going to be VERY hot on the surface, so what your tortoise really needs is an underground hideaway. I learned this concept from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com, who also lives near Vegas.

Just a few inches underground it is cooler. There are many ways to accomplish this. Here is one way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

Whatever you do, use a thermometer and check those temperatures early and often. Be very careful. Outside is very good for adults, but caution must be used in extreme weather conditions.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Yes. Overheating is a very serious possibility IF you don't design and place the enclosure properly. You will need lots of shade, and you can also use shade cloth, plants, sprinklers, misters and soaks to keep him cool.

But even with all that, it is still going to be VERY hot on the surface, so what your tortoise really needs is an underground hideaway. I learned this concept from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com, who also lives near Vegas.

Just a few inches underground it is cooler. There are many ways to accomplish this. Here is one way:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

Whatever you do, use a thermometer and check those temperatures early and often. Be very careful. Outside is very good for adults, but caution must be used in extreme weather conditions.
okay thank you !!