Outdoor enclosure ideas

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
Im looking into getting a leopard tortoise and i was wondering if anyone could help me with outdoor enclosure ideas. Like how big it should be? how should i build it? what kind of wood? any ideas appreciated. I think ive finally convinced my parents to let me get one :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, a baby can live indoors for a couple years, but eventually you're going to have to think about an outdoor habitat for any tortoise that you get.

Indoors for a baby, you can start with an aquarium or a large plastic tub. I like the tubs because they're way cheaper than aquariums. So, about $30 for a large plastic tub. Then you add substrate. I like orchid bark, but there are other choices. So, about $10 for orchid bark. To this you will add a couple of hiding places. You can either make them or buy them. And you stuff the hiding place with moist sphagnum moss (about $5). You'll need a waterer - a plant saucer for around a buck, and a feeding tile. You can just use a flat rock for this. If you dress up the habitat with plants it gives the baby a more secure-feeling home and you'll see him out and about more often. If its too open, he'll stay hiding all the time.

Please read the "Important Threads" at the top of the leopard section.

I just re-read the subject line. So, for outdoors, a leopard tortoise can be comfortable in a space of about maybe 15'x20', but naturally, bigger is always better. And they eat grass and weeds, so make you space be in a well-planted area. They like to hide under bushes.

barroncourtney45

5 Year Member
Ok thanks for that. I have a section in my yard that goes beside the house and is pretty long. It doesnt get sun though. I was thinking i can use that and then add on more of the yard aswell for sun and extra room. I will meausre it today or tomorrow