Creeping Charlie

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, I posted this in diet but no one responded. I have seen and heard where some people will feed creeping Charlie to torts. The tort tables says no. Can this be fed to Russians?

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Ok, I posted this in diet but no one responded. I have seen and heard where some people will feed creeping Charlie to torts. The tort tables says no. Can this be fed to Russians?

You might have better luck using the scientific name, I’ll admit I’ve never heard of creeping Charlie but it’s prob bc I call the same plant a different name, or maybe post a pic.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You might have better luck using the scientific name, I’ll admit I’ve never heard of creeping Charlie but it’s prob bc I call the same plant a different name, or maybe post a pic.
This is the one I have in my yard. I don’t know what the scientific name is. It has small purple flowers.

72C44CD3-F9AA-4DB7-A93F-F0FD6A316C4D.jpeg

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Glechoma hederacea is scientific name. And I definitely recognize it just never knew the name. Looked it up and it’s in the mint family and has so many medicinal uses for us as humans, high in vitamin C, kind of hard to see where it would be bad. Brought here for medicinal/culinary reasons. I found one tort web site saying it’s ok for sulcata and leopards but another saying it COULD be toxic to others (level 2 toxicity). But there is a ground ivy also called creeping Charlie/ creeping Jenny that creates some confusion. So just like the rest of the internet I’m no help!! If it’s me I’d probably take a pass on feeding it out, until I got more concrete reliable evidence that it isn’t toxic. Good luck!

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
I've also found several recommended foods for Russians that are labelled as do not feed or feed sparingly on the tortoise table.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I wouldn't worry about creeping charlie in the enclosure, I'm sure a bite or two are not harmful. But don't bother picking it for your tort, I've never heard of a tortoise eating it deliberately. :confused:

EdMurphy

Minnesota
This is the one I have in my yard. I don’t know what the scientific name is. It has small purple flowers.

This is the same plant I have in large quantities in my yard. Have you have any experiences with it and your russians?
I want to make a outdoor enclosure but I too seen on TT not to feed it, I have no area that my russian won't have access to it.