Creeping Fig for a Hermann tortoise?

larissaeve

Location (City and/or State)
Uckfield
I'm getting my tortoise in a couple of weeks and wanted a creeping plant to make the enclosure look more natural. Is Creeping Fig safe for them? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm getting my tortoise in a couple of weeks and wanted a creeping plant to make the enclosure look more natural. Is Creeping Fig safe for them? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks

Most plants in the ficus family have a sap that is an irritant to eyes and skin... It's possible tortoises can manage or avoid the irritants, but there are other plants that can probably work better.

Try the tortoise table app or website... I use pothos for my redfoot, and wandering Jew, spider plants, and mint with my others... I'm also trying bamboo.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

Creeping Fig aka Ficus Pumila (per Wiki), like other plant species in the Moraceae family, contact with the milky sap of Ficus pumila can cause phytophotodermatitis, a potentially serious skin inflammation. Although the plant is not poisonous per se, F. pumila is listed in the FDA Database of Poisonous Plants.

Based on that info, I’d skip as a food source.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_pumila