Creeping thyme safe for tortoises?

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
I'm remodeling my backyard to provide a safe and luxurious enclosure for some red foot tortoises I'm getting soon. Sad to say, I no longer have grass, only lots of shaded dirt, due to a small flood that happened a few years back.
I saw online that creeping thyme is an incredible grass substitute and can grow really well, and is nontoxic to dogs and cats and even edible to humans...
Would creeping thyme be safe for tortoises to eat? Or would they even want to eat it at all?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use creeping thyme in my enclosure. My Burmese stars do eat it, especially the younger shoots. They seem to leave the more established parts alone so it does get well established in the enclosure. It is certainly not toxic and fine for a tortoise food. I just doubt they will eat much of it.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
One of the best tort food check is TheTortoiseTable.org.uk. store bought and natural.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I use creeping thyme in my enclosure. My Burmese stars do eat it, especially the younger shoots. They seem to leave the more established parts alone so it does get well established in the enclosure. It is certainly not toxic and fine for a tortoise food. I just doubt they will eat much of it.
Ah, I see.
I might plant some then in some areas of my yard, but I'll maybe choose another plant to use as a grass alternative that they can eat.
Thank you for the tip though, it was really helpful! :,^)

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
One of the best tort food check is TheTortoiseTable.org.uk. store bought and natural.
I've heard of the site and it's usefulness before. Thank you for telling me, I always forget that source is available :^)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I looooove creeping thyme!!!!! Been trying to start few plants in the outdoor enclosure. That and several other ground covers that are lately being called "steppables" including moss. I love the looks of it and softness on those stubby little feet. If you can grow creeping thyme, definitely go for it! It'll smell so good after you water it!

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I looooove creeping thyme!!!!! Been trying to start few plants in the outdoor enclosure. That and several other ground covers that are lately being called "steppables" including moss. I love the looks of it and softness on those stubby little feet. If you can grow creeping thyme, definitely go for it! It'll smell so good after you water it!
I can totally agree! :^) the smell is really nice and it grows so well wherever you put it. I may have to plant some for myself. Thank you for the advice :^)