Criticism wanted for my Pax's enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Void1878

5 Year Member
I scoured the attic and found the biggest tub I could, emptied all the old christmas decorations out, and began building his new home. The tub is 14 inches high, 31 inches wide, 19 inches long, 28.8 gallons. I did away with (but still kept for when he gets bigger) the all in one MVB bulb. Instead I got this

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.js...Id=4282557

It is a combo pack basking bulb and UVB compact fluorescent(CF) bulb. The basking bulb is 100 watts, the CF bulb is a Reptisun 5.0. In his tub the basking bulb is projected at a piece of slate for him to crawl on to bask on. The CF bulb is over the other half of his tub. The CF bulb is 20 inches above his substrate which is 6 inches higher than the manufacturer recommends for the burn in period. The burn in should last about two weeks. For heat instead of going out and buying a CHE and dome to put it in I found a small personal heater that I put outside his tub and it is on a cycle where it rotates 150 degrees and heat all of one side of his tub. The heat coming directly out of the personal heater is at about 134 degrees but cools to about 89-90 degrees. He now has about 4-5 sometimes 6 inches of substrate to hold in more humidity and for him to dig in compared to the half an inch of substrate in his old 20 gallon tank. He also has a humid hide shoe box in one corner of his tub like Tom recommended in his guide on how to raise baby sullies. Under the half of the tub with the humid hide and the CF bulb is a large heating pad which will hopefully seep heat through all his substrate and bring the temp to the 80's. I think that's everything that I can think of at least. Let me know what y'all think!

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises are the type of animal that needs to thermoregulate their heat. That means they need to move in and out of a heat source. A hot light shining down so that they can lay under it until their insides are 85 degrees or higher. They need that temp to metabolize their food. So they move in and out of the light to "thermoregulate". A heat source that enables them to do that is absolutely necessary. A regular incandescent 100 watt bulb will do for day and a 60 watt black light bulb will do for night heat. Get rid of your bulb immediately. The coil bulbs hurt tortoises eyes. That is what is wrong with Pax's eyes. Your heat source is another problem. They need a singular heat shining down on them. I have explained why, I'll answer any more questions later but I have to go now...Your pictures are not coming thru either...

Status
Not open for further replies.