Critique my lighting setup

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Please give me input on my Lighting setup. Apart from what’s good for my 4yo-5yo 5” Russian tortoise, I want to make sure I’m not going to burn my garage down.

NOTE: yes this is two terrible “tortoise houses” strung together but it’s only his nightbox, or inclement weather box, he has an outside 10x12’ space that he can use at least part of the day, almost all year. Also he is the most inactive Russian you’ll ever meet, he truly doesn’t seem to care about space — He doesn’t pace, he doesn’t explore, he doesn’t exercise, he just sits… seriously, I think he’s mentally damaged or something given what most people say theirs are like…

so the double hood has a 60 / 100 incandescent (depends what is needed to get to basking temps), and a black CHE On a thermostat tied to the basking area. The third, separate light is a 6500 spectrum LED to fool him into not hibernating. The LED and incandescent are on a timer.

There’s also an oil heater I can have running (i also have a chicken coop RHP I could use), but since the space isn’t enclosed neither of these are ideal ways to heat Tho I can say i have tested it and they can get the ambient temp *very* warm (80s) and hold the temperature.

so what is the good, bad, and ugly here?

Attachments

• E4F1EAA1-6F33-49A1-86B5-E310305A04DF.jpeg
    E4F1EAA1-6F33-49A1-86B5-E310305A04DF.jpeg
    674.7 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All sounds good to me. No need for indoor UV if he will be able to use the outdoor pen most of each year.