Critique my Tortoise Table Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

msowsun

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

We have a 4 month old Ibera Greek and I could use some advice on my tortoise table. At first we were told it was a Hermann's (photos here in this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Is-this-a-Hermann-s ) Not sure if it is a male/female. What do you think?

The table is actually an old upper bunk bed about 77" x 40" and 11" tall. (about 3 1/3 x 6 1/2 feet) I cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom. It has about 2-3" of ZooMed Retibark for substrate which I occasionally spray a little water on. I have 2 basking areas because I thought the area was quite large for a small tortoise. One side has a low rock and the other side has an inverted ceramic tile to bask on. The temperatures are generally 100F with 20% humidity under the lamps, and about 76F 35% in the other areas. She doesn't generally really bask on the rock or the tile, but does like spending lots of time in the hot areas. Is this about right for a Ibera Greek?

She seems very active. During the day (and at night) she will sometimes sleep in either small shelter, or will sometimes just burrow down slightly in a corner.

So far the diet has been Endive and Watercress (from the grocery store) and Hibiscus leaf and flower from our indoor Hibiscus tree. She seems to prefer the leaf to the flower. We also sprinkle some ReptiCalcium on her food.

My 2 sons are 13 and 16, and thought it would be cute to put a few items in the area. Are things like the wooden turtle sculpture, metal 1/24 scale truck, rock crystal, etc, OK?

Any suggestions for me? Mike in Oakville

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Looks nice:) you need to hang your MVB straight down not on a angle put in one more hide maybe:)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I used cheap shelving "L" brackets to hang my lights from the wall. Worked Perfect.

fmadrigal said:
I used cheap shelving "L" brackets to hang my lights from the wall. Worked Perfect.

2.97 for two @ walmart

msowsun

10 Year Member!
Okay, I'll change the angle of the UVB lights. Is that to make them closer? or for some other reason?

I forgot to ask, should the hides be farther away from the heat? She will often sit in the hides during the day or even in the open near the heat. I think I could add one or two more hides away from the heat and see if she likes that.

Hibiscus Leaf for breakfast today....
IMG_7784_800.jpg

IMG_7786_800.jpg

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
msowsun said:
Okay, I'll change the angle of the UVB lights. Is that to make them closer? or for some other reason?

I believe it is to protect their vision so they are not looking directly at the light.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
The MVB does not work properly unless it is pointed straight down. Nice enclosure, only thing I might add is some potted plant to add some aesthetic appeal as well as more hiding spots, also maybe something to climb on, a few large pieces of slate stacked up.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jeffbens0n said:
The MVB does not work properly unless it is pointed straight down. Nice enclosure, only thing I might add is some potted plant to add some aesthetic appeal as well as more hiding spots, also maybe something to climb on, a few large pieces of slate stacked up.

oh well, there you go. I'm still learning myself.

msowsun

10 Year Member!
What do the numbers with your animals mean in your sig?

jeffbens0n said:
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise (Chomper)
1.0.0 Leopard Tortoise (Leo)
0.0.1 Northern Diamondback Terrapin (Crusher)
1.0.0 Dog (Bear)
1.1.0 Cats (Tiger and Kitty)

msowsun

10 Year Member!
OK, So we now have :

0.0.1 Testudo Graeca Ibera

which will one day be ether 1.0.0 or 0.1.0 when I know the sex, Correct?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
msowsun said:
OK, So we now have :

0.0.1 Testudo Graeca Ibera

which will one day be ether 1.0.0 or 0.1.0 when I know the sex, Correct?

You got it:) so you will have 3.8.12 in a few years LOL :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
About the lights, its what Jeff said, but also, it shortens the life of an MVB to have it hang at an angle. (Another person who doesn't read the directions! :p )

Be sure you with hold the keys to the pick-up. Your little Greek is too young to go joy riding.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Great enclosure! Lots of room. I agree with changing the lights so they hang straight down.

The only other thing I can comment on is the compact fluorescent you're using (The zoomed 10.0).

For one, since you have a MVB you don't need it. And the big reason for removal is they have been known to cause eye damage, lethargy among other things as well.

The tube UVB lights don't harm the eyes, but the compacts do. If you wanted to add some extra light, you could just get any old tube fixture, with a normal bulb as well and build some type of beam over the enclosure and hang the fixture.

Oh and the only other thing I can see causing problems soon is the back wall is really short. Watch out in a few months your little tortoise might be able to hook its legs on the edge and flip.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I like all of the "non traditional" knick knacks. Really cool. I echo the suggestion that something to climb on might be nice and you have the room. Overall: Awesome!

msowsun

10 Year Member!
Seiryu said:
The only other thing I can comment on is the compact fluorescent you're using (The zoomed 10.0).

For one, since you have a MVB you don't need it. And the big reason for removal is they have been known to cause eye damage, lethargy among other things as well.

The tube UVB lights don't harm the eyes, but the compacts do. If you wanted to add some extra light, you could just get any old tube fixture, with a normal bulb as well and build some type of beam over the enclosure and hang the fixture.

Oh and the only other thing I can see causing problems soon is the back wall is really short. Watch out in a few months your little tortoise might be able to hook its legs on the edge and flip.

I have a piece of wood to fill that gap on the back when he gets bigger.

The ZooMed 10.0 has straight tubes not "curly" tubes. Is this kind better? or is it still considered a compact?

zoo_med_reptisun_10_uvb_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.