Cross-species breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
RE: Interracial Dating

I see these types of debates about hybrids occur on the tropical fish boards. I also see essentially the same two arguments for or against.

The argument against, "We should strive to maintain the integrity of each individual species, particularly for those species that are becoming scarce in the wild."

The arguments for, "Doesn't hybridization occur naturally in the wild anyway? Is there really anything wrong with creating new species? Don't we mix as humans?"

The general consensus on most of the tropical fish forums is that its acceptable to hyrbidize only if you're going to keep them for yourself and not give away hybrids or release them into the wild.

I've also seen in clarified many times when the human example is thrown in: a caucasian man having children with a woman of african ancestry is not hybridization. The children are still pure Homo sapiens. Similarly breeding a Dachsund to a Jack Russell Terrier still produces a full blooded Canis lupus (cross breeding two different breeds of dog is not the same as hybridization of two different species of animal within the same Family or Genus).

As for species integrity, one of the biggest arguments given in the tropical fish world are the various species of fish originating from Lake Victoria in Africa. Most of those fish are extinct or near extinct because the Nile Perch was introduced to the lake. Fish enthusiasts argue that the Lake Victoria cichlids should never be hybridized, since aquarists own the last remnant populations for most of these fish. I tend to agree with that. But for the guppies, mollies, swordtails, and other very common Central and South American cichlids; is some hybridization acceptable as long as those populations are contained? I tend to agree with that too.

In the case of turtles and tortoises, a similar argument can be made for several species. Either through habitat encroachment by man, overcollection for the food trade, or overcollection for the animal trade. Imagine if Ploughshares, Radiateds, or Spiders in captivity were used for interspecies breeding. If the offspring looked very similar to the adults, unscrupulous sellers could sell them to unknowing buyers as pure specimens and dilute the genes of the captive population. Someday, some of these species (the Ploughshare in particular), will likely only exist in captive populations.

I've seen one retailer with a huge online presence selling Travancore/Elongated crosses for half the price that they sell pure Travancores. At least from the pics posted on their site, the crosses look the same as the pure. For an animal with a IUCN Vulnerable status, and relative scarcity in the United States, imagine someone buying these hybrids, doubling their price and selling them as pure just for the sake of cashing in.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Terry Allan Hall said:
I'm just waiting for someone to develope a "Toy Sulcata", that only grows to about 20#... :cool:

Toy Sulcata..:p..Guess it will be easier to carry in a shoulder bag like celebs do with toy dogs...:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

dalano73 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
I'm just waiting for someone to develope a "Toy Sulcata", that only grows to about 20#... :cool:

Toy Sulcata..:p..Guess it will be easier to carry in a shoulder bag like celebs do with toy dogs...:D

Exactly...and as soon as Paris Hilton gets one, the developers get REALLY, REALLY rich! :p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Comparing tortoises to humans is completely irrelevant, IMHO. Humans are all Homo sapiens, the same species. In different locales, there are different races, but still all Homo sapiens. A Redfoot (Geochelone carbonaria) and a Sulcata (Centrochelys sulcata) are two completely different species. Turning this into a Caucasian/African/Asian interracial comparison has no bearing on interSPECIES cross breeding. Are you really suggesting that different races of humans are different species? I really hope not.

There are different RACES of Redfoot (Brazilian, Guyana, etc.) just as there are different RACES of humans. But comparing breeding Sulcatas with Leopards and Caucasians with Asians makes no sense. Now, if we were talking about Homo sapiens interbreeding with Pan paniscus, then the argument might actually hold some merit.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Imagine, a aldabra and a redfoot, that would be one amazing hatchling! LOL, just kidding, I am a purist also, I agree with most of you....

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It's funny......Everyone is all about the "purity" of their Leopards and Sulcatas, but no one really kept them seperate from the beginning......Can you really call animals of the same species, from different localities ( with obvious differences ), who've been paired up with no thought "pure"?........

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
EricIvins said:
It's funny......Everyone is all about the "purity" of their Leopards and Sulcatas, but no one really kept them seperate from the beginning......Can you really call animals of the same species, from different localities ( with obvious differences ), who've been paired up with no thought "pure"?........

Interesting point...one of my female Eastern Hermann's torts seems to (judging by her appearence) have at least some Dalmation in her ancestry, likely due to the fact that for quite a while Easterns and Dalmations were considered to be one and the same to many/most tort lovers/breeders...which may well mean that ALL of my Easterns MIGHT have some Dalmation ancestry (and presumably some/many/most/all Dalmations could have some Eastern ancestry, as well)...as far as I'm aware, it's impossible to be 100% sure, other than by collecting breeding stock from the center of the Dalmation's or Eastern's range and being very particular about keeping that bloodline "pure", perhaps. Then being as vigalant when introducing new bloodlines into your tort's breeding pool.

Me, I'm just interested in breeding as a pure a line as I reasonably can, which means I won't breed Western Hermann's torts, or any of the various Greeks, or Russians or Marginateds, w/ my "Easterns".

So, while I can see why it's important to keep some pure breeding stock, to keep the species/subspecies from dying out, I can also see where some can become so fanatical about "purity" that they miss out on a lot of other nice aspects of sharing one's life and home w/ these delightful beasties.

Just my $.02 worth... :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
Me, I'm just interested in breeding as a pure a line as I reasonably can, which means I won't breed Western Hermann's torts, or any of the various Greeks, or Russians or Marginateds, w/ my "Easterns".

Now THIS is my sentiment on this subject exactly!

With sulcatas any locality data is probably long gone. They have been all mixed up and bred together from wherever in the range they originated from for decades. But at least it is all ONE species. Having said that, I do find the differences in sulcatas interesting and wonder if the differences are the result of natural variation within a species, OR leftover genetic remnants indicating a specific locality. I'm talking about color variation, high domed vs. low domed, long leg scales vs. flatter ones, etc... I'd love to go tour the entire natural range and check to see if I see any familiar traits within wild populations of a given area.

Now Leopards are much more of a mess. First you have the babcocki subspecies, most of which came out of Tanzania. But who knows where the ones that were shipped out of Tanzania really came from? Still, most of the time this subspecies is recognizable in a "relatively pure" specimen, at least from what I have seen. Next you have the pardalis subspecies, the South African one. In my opinion, these two subspecies are very different. At least the ones that are available for sale here in the states. Their size is different, the behavior is different and their appearance is different. As babies, these two are pretty easy to tell apart. As juveniles or adults, its starts to get much more complex because of......

... the third group. The "hybrids" between the two subspecies. Leopards were only imported in quantity from the late 80's until the importation ban put a complete stop to it. I don't remember exactly when that was, but around '98 or 2000. So for a little more than a decade they were coming in and a lot of people just put leopards with other leopards without much though about subspecies or point of origin. There are A LOT of these mixes out here. I personally know at least three breeders that are still doing it. I wish they wouldn't. When I hear about a particularly large babcocki or a particularly unafraid and outgoing one, I can't help but wonder if there is some mixed heritage somewhere in its past. I would imagine that DNA testing might be able to resolve such questions, but even that is a very complex issue. The most recent field study that I have read indicated that there were 11 "clades" of different types of leopards throughout their range. It seems likely to me that the majority of the leopards here in the states are all originally from two of those 11 groups. If there are other leopards from other groups also here in the states, and in the mix, the whole thing just gets exponentially more complex. It is certainly possible that this is the case.

So this leads me back to my original agreement with Terry's post. I am REASONABLY sure that my Gpp are all from the same "clade" and locality within South Africa. The founding stock were direct imports all in the same shipment from the same source, and my breeder still has the import paperwork. There are a lot of people out there claiming to be producing "real" pp, but how can anyone really know, unless its the above described scenario. I have a new baby that is supposedly out of two pp parents and shows all of the pp characteristics. I will never be able to 100% verify that there is not some other clade mixed in there. That one will not be bred to my "pure" stock. I value the fact that my herd is all from one specific location within the natural range and I do not wish to "dilute" their gene pool with animals that I'm not sure of. No more can ever be brought in, so if we lose what we've got, that will be the end of this very special circumstance. I do not intend to let that happen.

If we start mixing species, all things tortoise will become a complicated mess in this way.

BTW, we have a breeder here on our forum who has been very careful in putting together "pure" breeding groups of some of the Testudo species. He only breeds tortoise with others that are from the same known localities. This is who I will buy from when I'm ready to start my own hermanni herds.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: I say from now on before I purchase or any body purchases a tortoise people should request and want papers issued to them with what ever their buying! "Tortoise and Turtle" wise, that state's to them the buyer that what their getting is the actual animal And Breed! and also where it comes from! ("purity") "hay dogs and cats can have papers why cant Turtles and tortoises too Right? "Tom your listed as a dog trainer! Dont they the people have to obey the rules as of selling animals in your experiences of selling cats and Dogs right! It would then put all things in there rightfully respected places. Example: DNA Testing if fraudulently expected you didn't get what you paid for! plus there's is also the advantage of the animal having papers itself that will identifiy and follow it around through its life cycle as a record of who it is and where it came from! "Hay" people and a lots of other Breeds of animals have them! ("Papers"!) well its time that all turtles and tortoise have them too!. "Want to Breed" do it Right!View attachment 10837 And give it papers! :) View attachment 10838The end!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
grogansilver said:
:tort: I say from now on before I purchase or any body purchases a tortoise people should request and want papers issued to them with what ever their buying! "Tortoise and Turtle" wise, that state's to them the buyer that what their getting is the actual animal And Breed! and also where it comes from! ("purity") "hay dogs and cats can have papers why cant Turtles and tortoises too Right? "Tom your listed as a dog trainer! Dont they the people have to obey the rules as of selling animals in your experiences of selling cats and Dogs right! It would then put all things in there rightfully respected places. Example: DNA Testing if fraudulently expected you didn't get what you paid for! plus there's is also the advantage of the animal having papers itself that will identifiy and follow it around through its life cycle as a record of who it is and where it came from! "Hay" people and a lots of other Breeds of animals have them! ("Papers"!) well its time that all turtles and tortoise have them too!. "Want to Breed" do it Right! And give it papers! :) The end!

I've often thought that a similar system might be a good idea, particularily if you're wanting pure-bred reptiles...I know among boa keepers, a lot of breeders would breed this one w/ that one, because they liked the colors and/or patterns, so finding a pure-bred Surinam or Columbian is nearly impossible, in spite of the advertisements, unless you get some freshly captured from those places.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Those 'papers' are called studbooks and exist for many species.

weeneybomber

5 Year Member
I believe hybridizing and intergrating (sub-species breeding) is sometimes ok. 1. If it could occour naturally due to overlaping territories. 2. If it's to save a species (I was watching "Wild Russia" on animal planet and saw that due to over hunting the native buffalo were too low in numbers to recover in the wild, so humans bred them with American Buffalo and now they are making a come back and re-balancing the eco system.) I personally have a eastern box turtle/ gulf coast box turtle intergrade and a three toed with either eastern or ornate box turtle intergrade. However this is possible in nature. I also see where some people are comig from about keeping species pure, but I personally think it's really cool to see hybrids! Are the tortoise hybrids fertile or is it unknown thus far? BTW this thread is very exciting!!!!! :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Breed vs. Hybrid
Many people confuse these two terms. A breed is a man made variation within a species. Domestic dogs have thousands of breeds, from the doberman to husky to terrier, but all of these are the same species. Breeds arise during domestication, the process by which man breeds an animal for specific characteristics until it becomes a seperate species from the original wild population. Parrots aren't really domesticated, though some, like budgies, are getting there. You can already see two breeds developing within the budgie species: English (show) and American (pet). Breeds are made through selective breeding, the same way you would select birds to isolate a color mutation

JD~

Status
Not open for further replies.