Crushed oyster shells

Eric53

Anyone here ever use crushed oyster shells as a substrate for their Pancakes? (It is a recommendation I'm thinking of trying for my two adult female Pancakes.)

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I leave it out in the pen for my large Sulcatas and they eat it. I don't know the answer to your question though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not. If they eat too much of it, they can become impacted.

Besides that, if you don't want them to pyramid or dehydrate, you need a substrate that will hold some moisture and give off some moderate humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eric:

I've heard of using oyster shell as substrate for Egyptians, but I haven't heard that about pancakes. Let's give a shout out to @Will and @Cowboy_Ken , they both keep pancakes.

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For Pancakes I've been using a mix of some coarse sand, small crushed gravel (not pea) and oyster shell, there is also some very small amount of mini orchid bark. This mix is the result of partial substrate changes over time. I did not "make it" with intent.

Eric53

Hi Everyone, have any of you ever used JUST crushed oyster shell as a substrate? And if so, how has it been working for you? (A further note: I'm attempting to keep it simple..as in not having to mix a bunch of different stuff like I'm baking a cake or something. I'll do what's best though as I am a responsible keeper and have had one pancake for about 8 years now and she (like always) is doing great…and about her…for 8 years that I've had her she has alway lived on stone slabs and NOT ANY substrate + stone home, etc. But am seriously thinking of using oyster shell in a larger (15' square foot) enclosure when I put the two I have together).

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi Everyone, have any of you ever used JUST crushed oyster shell as a substrate? And if so, how has it been working for you? (A further note: I'm attempting to keep it simple..as in not having to mix a bunch of different stuff like I'm baking a cake or something. I'll do what's best though as I am a responsible keeper and have had one pancake for about 8 years now and she (like always) is doing great…and about her…for 8 years that I've had her she has alway lived on stone slabs and NOT ANY substrate + stone home, etc. But am seriously thinking of using oyster shell in a larger (15' square foot) enclosure when I put the two I have together).
Not for pancakes no. It won't be suitable for a laying female either. Your going to have to go the baking a cake routine for the best suitable substrate for this species. Sorry.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Eric
I'd rather set up a date for my male pancake and see if he knows what to do . ;-)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Let's give a shout out to @african cake queen She keep pancakes.
Hi everyone! I don't use that.never tried it. I use reptile carpet for my babies, so the don't eat dirt or bark. My adults love to dig. The male too. I use eco earth loose coconut fiber and bark chips mixed. Lots of things to climb as well.

Eric53

Thanks Tortadise. It is possible go the baking a cake routine. But I'd rather not. As in keeping it simple. So, I'd be interesting to hear from anyone who has had success with a "single item" substrate…something that approximates there natural environment in the hot desert like conditions they deal with in the higher arid regions (plus hilly/rocky regions as well of north western Kenya.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use organic peat moss and organic, non-manure top soil with a 1/4 of the enclosure a 50% of the before mentioned mix and 50% clean play sand. This works well for me and my 'cakes.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Crushed oyster shells, to me would have too much give to provide adequate footing with the added bonus of not holding any moisture. Both of these are negative drawbacks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
something that approximates there natural environment in the hot desert like conditions they deal with in the higher arid regions (plus hilly/rocky regions as well of north western Kenya.
Flip a rock in the dessert in the morning and you will find moisture.