Custom Enclosure

Coaxoch

Location (City and/or State)
CA
83A5DA75-9885-4C1A-AE93-7A1EC39B8D3A.jpeg Hello
I have contacted a reptile cage maker to make a custom cage for my tortoises.
He will be using cabinet grade plywood and acrylic paint that is water proof.
My question is what is the best material to build such an enclosure he guarantees that a wetter environment should be fine I am not very handy therefore any info would be greatly appreciated
the size will be (80L x 20W x 20H)
Pictured above is what I aim for
Thank You

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always used exterior plywood for my enclosures. With proper water proofing, the plywood does just fine. The last couple of enclosures I built I lined with liquid Flex Seal. It does a great job.

Coaxoch

CA
Thanks @Yvonne G i have seen a lot of wooden type enclosures here on the forum. I assumed it would work I was just a little concerned with the plywood not being able to hold up to the high humidity thinking it would rot but I guess the acrylic paint should do the job like he says

Coaxoch

CA
I tried going that direction with kages custom reptile enclosures however they don’t recommend che bulbs in their pvc enclosure. I thought I might struggle with the temperature without the use of ceramic heat emitters they recommend belly heating pads. Do you have a pvc enclosure how do you heat it? & Thanks for the advice I do like the fact you don’t have to worry about a wet enclosure with the pvc @jaizei

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have a pvc enclosure (a critter condo, by DIY cages) and use a heating pad with a thermostat (to prevent overheating).

Jamie

Coaxoch

CA
So the heat pad actually heats up the entire enclosure? Sorry for asking dumb questions I’ve just never worked with heat pads I have only used ceramic heat emitters with thermostats @jsheffield

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried going that direction with kages custom reptile enclosures however they don’t recommend che bulbs in their pvc enclosure. I thought I might struggle with the temperature without the use of ceramic heat emitters they recommend belly heating pads. Do you have a pvc enclosure how do you heat it? & Thanks for the advice I do like the fact you don’t have to worry about a wet enclosure with the pvc @jaizei

Radiant heat panels instead of CHE

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
So the heat pad actually heats up the entire enclosure? Sorry for asking dumb questions I’ve just never worked with heat pads I have only used ceramic heat emitters with thermostats @jsheffield

It does, in combination with a basking light I have at one end that runs 12 hours a day.

Jamie