Cut on tortoise neck?

Naroma

Please help! One of the tortoises i bought a month ago has this on its neck...pic attached. I noticed his 3 weeks ago but it was like a scab...it looks like it came off and today the red mark is there. 20160715_160023.jpg 20160715_160012.jpg 20160715_160012.jpg Please help...do i need to take tort to vet?
Thanks for any help and advice

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I think you ought to see a vet IMMEDIATELY. Sorry, can't be of more help: am no tort expert. Hope the experts will help you.

And please keep us updated, hoping to hear your tort is better soon.

Naroma

I think you ought to see a vet IMMEDIATELY. Sorry, can't be of more help: am no tort expert. Hope the experts will help you.

And please keep us updated, hoping to hear your tort is better soon.
Thanks Gillian...i am trying to find a tortoise vet in Glasgow ...will let you know how tort gets on.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks Gillian...i am trying to find a tortoise vet in Glasgow ...will let you know how tort gets on.
Sorry, don't understand your question.What exactly do you mean by "how torts get on?"

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please check the so-called "Torts Vets List" and hopefully there you'll find a vet.

Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've asked one of our experts to help you.

Have you checked the vets list?

Naroma

Not been able to contact vet yet...Can any of the experts advise if there is anything i can do meantime?
Many Thanks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not been able to contact vet yet...Can any of the experts advise if there is anything i can do meantime?
Many Thanks
Will check once again, although I've already contacted someone, who has not answered. Sorry.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
@Naroma (a new member) posted a thread asking for HELP: her tort's neck is injured and she needs advise.

Would someone PLEASE, PLEASE be kind enough to help her; until she contacts a vet.

Thanks everyone.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Many thanks...as you can see i am new here and dont know the forum...
Don't worry. Hopefully, you will get the help you need SOON.

I'll see what I can do for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Go to a drug store and get Betadine. That's the red stuff DRs clean your skin with. Clean the wound ONCE with Betadine. Then keep Neosporin or something like that on it. Is he rubbing against his carapace at that spot? In the pix his carapace at that spot looks broken and sharp. Can you trim it some?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty hard place to heal because every time he pulls his head in or pushes it out, it cracks open. They get those from either another tortoise biting him or from the rough part of the shell cutting it. They try to climb and quickly slip down, too fast for them to pull the head in. You can take a little piece of emery cloth and lightly sand the rough edge of the shell. But keep Neosporin or some other type of antibiotic salve on it to keep it soft. If it gets a hard scab, it will only crack and break open with his neck activity.

You don't need to see a vet.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Naroma . Hope you are now better after you got two posts that will help you, I hope. :<3:

Please keep us updated; and sincerely hope to hear your tort is better, SOON. :D