Cuttle bone vs urates?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's a good visual. Now can you show us a pic of undigested cuttlebone fragments that have made it through a smaller tortoise species? You know those times when a Testudo species ignores a cuttlebone for months and then eats the whole thing in one day? What does that look like on the other end?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I seldom soak her because it distresses her so. I use an opaque plastic tote, so she can't see out; it does not matter what temperature the water is or how deep: she constantly tries to scramble up the sides to get out. I hate to stress her out so badly, but if she needs it, she'll get it.

I have never seen her actually drink water, either in her soak or the water dishes in either her indoor or outdoor enclosures.

The humidity in her indoor enclosure had dropped into the 45% range- I usually try and keep her OVER 50% indoor humidity (the outdoor humidity takes care of itself!)
I soak OLI :<3: each and every day no matter how cold/hot it is.;)

DPtortiose

That's a good visual. Now can you show us a pic of undigested cuttlebone fragments that have made it through a smaller tortoise species? You know those times when a Testudo species ignores a cuttlebone for months and then eats the whole thing in one day? What does that look like on the other end?

Never seen anything like it in my animals. I'm not sure if it's even possible for cuttlefish chips to remain 'undigested'. I think it’s very likely that not all the calcium from the bones are absorbed by the body, but I doubt the remaining calcium with be visible as chips. Cuttlefish bones are basically entirely made from calcium carbonate, a molecule that is soluble when mixed with (strong) acids (in a low ph). Like the low PH found in the stomach acids. So it I think it simply 'melts away' when it hits the stomach, but I'm not sure. The only thing that I can say for sure is that I’ve never seen something like that in my animals.