Urates/hydration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, I've had my 4.5 inch Hermann's for not quite a month. She has been bright-eyed, active and eating well from day one. She pees in her food dish every day so I can track her urates easily. For 1-2 days it'll be very liquid, then 1 day grainy, then 2 days liquid. Should I do anything different?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hey there
I noticed no one replied to you yet. Hopefully you wi have an answer soon. I wish I could help you!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Liquid texture urates are acceptable....gritty urates are not desirable and would cause me to offer up a bit longer warm water soaks daily so that the tort can gain more hydration and to get rid of any gritty urates as soon as possible...I would soak your tort for near an hour and be sure to keep the water warm....

Urates should be anything from totally liquid, to about the same consistency as toothpaste. If they're hard or gritty when they're expelled, this indicates dehydration, very common in tortoises kept in vivariums! If left untreated, dehydration rapidly proves fatal. If gritty urates are observed the tortoise should be bathed immediately by standing it in a bath of shallow, luke-warm water. This should be done daily, until the urates return to normal. Generally, this bathing should be done two to three times every week as a matter of routine (more often for hatchlings, who can dehydrate more rapidly than adults). Most tortoises enjoy bathing if the water is tepid. Their compliance can be increased by placing a small sport lamp over the bath container so they can bask at the same time.

One of my fav outlines here on this subject...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.