Cuttle bone water?

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I read a old book about lizards and the author said he soaked cuttle bone into water so it mixed with the water and the animal could get calcium. Would this work with torts our work at all? I may try it with my other herps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't seem to me that this would be a good way to get calcium into a tortoise. I really doubt very much calcium would leech out of the bone into the water, and for sure the bone wouldn't 'melt' into the water. It's much easier to use a cheese grater and grate the cuttle bone over your tortoise's food, a tiny bit at a time three times a week...or, even easier yet, to open a jar of calcium powder, take a pinch of the powder between your finger and thumb, and sprinkle that over the food three times a week.

Remember, some tortoises don't like the taste of cuttle bone or calcium powder, so use it sparingly.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Yah I already put out a cutyle bone/tortoise block for calcium and I dont put calcium on the food because he mostly grazes but I do put some when I put out a meal

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The calcium poider, does not mix well in water, won't do any good, IMHO. Stick with the bone in the enclosure, and twice a week (lightly) scrapings.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It doesn't mix. Some critters do like it softened & damp. That happens from being on a damp substrate too, so there's no point taking up space in the water dish.

Many old books are not useful. It can be hard to know which advice to follow & which to ignore.