Cuttle bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MA
I have a cuttle bone in Larry's enclosure and he is beginning to chomp on it evveryday. I read that you can put one in there but am getting worried that he is getting too much? Is this something I should keep doing or should I take it out?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, it won't hurt him. I would just leave it be, and replace it as soon as it is gone.

kfb

5 Year Member
Arizona
Does the cuttle bone help make their bite sharper? I ask because it seems that my Shelly (Sulcata Tort) has a problem tearing limp foliage, I have found it hanging out of her mouth several times and when I pulled it a long strand came out of her throat. I only pulled it because it seemed ot be bothering her. Should I worry? Should I give her a Cuttle Bone? Is it the same as you would give to a Bird? Sorry really new to this

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its for calcium, but it might help the beak too.. hard foods. like occasional carrot, watermelon rind.. help with that too. And just grazing in general.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Cuttle bones are just a chunk of calcium. I believe calcium is water soluable and they just pee out whatever they cant use. So over feeding calcium isnt an issue. Vitamin D3 on the other hand is fat soluable and will be stored in the body...so dont overfeed the d3. Anyone want to confirm this...I think I got it correct.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Cuttle bone is the same for birds as for torts, some are labeled for one or the other but its the same. My sulcata goes in spurts and eats it like crazy for a while then does not touch it for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.