Cuttlebone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
At what age/size should i provide a cuddlebone for my little one? She is currently 2.4 inches and weigh about 44g. Ive read so much in past month i confuse myself a bit still, but if im not mistaken, it should be a year old before i provide a supplement like that? Thanks again all.

Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Cuddlebone?

Now, you can put a cuttle bone in now.

You should not be waiting until a year old. You should be giving calcium with d3 at least once a week. Also have the cuttlebone available should your tort seem to want more calcium.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

Cuttlebone provides calcium and helps trim the beak, so it should be available at all times in case your tortoise wants to gnaw on it. It's good for all ages, but it's especially good for growing babies and gravid females, because they need the most calcium.

BTW - It's called cuttlebone because it comes from the small, internal shell of cuttlefish (a relative of the squid and octopus).

TommyZ

5 Year Member

Ok, chuckling at myself for my misspelling, "cuddle" bone, lol...Im super glad i asked because its been a month already and i dont have one, thanks folks for helping out there. Ill order the green zoomed turtle block one right now, unless you suggest a different one?... Sheesh, my poor lil one went a month with out her teething ring, i feel like a bad parent, lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

TommyZ said:
Ok, chuckling at myself for my misspelling, "cuddle" bone, lol...Im super glad i asked because its been a month already and i dont have one, thanks folks for helping out there. Ill order the green zoomed turtle block one right now, unless you suggest a different one?... Sheesh, my poor lil one went a month with out her teething ring, i feel like a bad parent, lol

The turtle block is fine, however my leopard didn't really touch his. So, just be prepared if he doesn't use it. Btw, they don't usually use it a lot, so give it some time before you think he isn't using it. Not a bad parent at all. We have all made mistakes. You came here to get the right care for him. A bad parent would not be a member of a forum:)

Status
Not open for further replies.