Cypress Mulch Brand/Retailers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I went to my local hardware stores this weekend but couldn't find any cypress mulch. If you use cypress what retailer do you get them from and what is the brand name?

Shalon

5 Year Member
I'm having the same problem. It seems the hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) around here stop carrying it in the winter. I don't want to have to pay the price for enough Forest Floor to fill a 8'x3' space if I don't have to, but it looks like I'm going to have to. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its a West Coast thing. Here on the West coast you can only buy it at pet stores in small bags. Jungle Bed, Forest Floor, etc.

Yvonne

Shalon

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Its a West Coast thing. Here on the West coast you can only buy it at pet stores in small bags. Jungle Bed, Forest Floor, etc.

Yvonne

Ugh..that is not what I wanted to hear. I wonder how many of the 24qt bags I'm going to need.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your city? You can buy the larger bags of Orchid Bark (Wonderbark brand) at Orchard's. It's $9 a bag and one bag covers quite a bit of territory. It comes in fine, medium and large grades and I prefer the fine. It's fur bark, and pure with no fillers, pesticides or fertilizers added.

Yvonne

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
If you're in Canada, Canadian tire sells organic planter bricks. Took me 2.5 bricks to cover 10sqft at a depth of 3 inches. Each brick costs $5 I think. Same crap as eco-earth bricks and whatnot, but they have the husk and soil varieties to give some texture.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Do you have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your city? You can buy the larger bags of Orchid Bark (Wonderbark brand) at Orchard's. It's $9 a bag and one bag covers quite a bit of territory. It comes in fine, medium and large grades and I prefer the fine. It's fur bark, and pure with no fillers, pesticides or fertilizers added.

Yvonne

No, but I did see orchid bark for sale here, I believe they had large chunks of bark in the bag.

Hubes said:
I get mine from the Bean Farm (www.beanfarm.com). They sell large bags and cases of the stuff too.

Thanks, my only issue is that I live in Hawaii so shipping on bulky items is murder!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have found a place that sells it, then ask them if they can get you the "fine" grade. I don't like the large chunks. Its hard for the tortoises to navigate.

Yvonne

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
I saw a couple bags this week left over at my local walmart here in MN as the Xmas displays were crowding out gardening

Shalon said:
I'm having the same problem. It seems the hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) around here stop carrying it in the winter. I don't want to have to pay the price for enough Forest Floor to fill a 8'x3' space if I don't have to, but it looks like I'm going to have to. :(

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:

Yvonne

I saw a bag of orchid bark at Walmart that had maybe 2-3" diameter pieces but it had a strong pine smell.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Bryan said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

No, but I did see orchid bark for sale here, I believe they had large chunks of bark in the bag.

Hubes said:
I get mine from the Bean Farm (www.beanfarm.com). They sell large bags and cases of the stuff too.

Thanks, my only issue is that I live in Hawaii so shipping on bulky items is murder!

I thought Hawaii is the orchid king. what are they using for planting medium, I bet that would work great (I say as I eyeball the dozen orchids crowding my kitchen counter.....my ideal is an orchidarium with the tortoise on the floor, here in MN, if I can pull it off)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
llamas55 said:
Bryan said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Hubes said:

I thought Hawaii is the orchid king. what are they using for planting medium, I bet that would work great (I say as I eyeball the dozen orchids crowding my kitchen counter.....my ideal is an orchidarium with the tortoise on the floor, here in MN, if I can pull it off)

Like I said I found a nice big bag of Orchid bark however it has a somewhat strong pine smell. I'm sure that it would dissipate over time, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it? It may have been fir pine or something like that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bryan said:
Like I said I found a nice big bag of Orchid bark however it has a somewhat strong pine smell. I'm sure that it would dissipate over time, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it? It may have been fir pine or something like that?

If it smells like pine DON'T BUY IT! Orchid bark is fir bark and smells clean and fresh. Fir isn't one of the aromatic oil trees like pine and redwood and cedar.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My local Home Depot and Lowes both carry mulch all year- although it is not always on display and you may need to ask for it. One of them keeps it in a locked outside 'patio' they will open up if you ask.

Most hardware stores, like Ace, can special order anything in their catalog and usually have it there in less than a week. You may need to find a friendly clerk to do this.

Big greenhouses and such also carry a lot of this stuff all year round.

Most towns also have bulk mulch/stone/cover stores that sell truckloads, but will usually be happy to sell just a trunk or tub load as well.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Madkins007 said:
My local Home Depot and Lowes both carry mulch all year- although it is not always on display and you may need to ask for it. One of them keeps it in a locked outside 'patio' they will open up if you ask.

Most hardware stores, like Ace, can special order anything in their catalog and usually have it there in less than a week. You may need to find a friendly clerk to do this.

Most towns also have bulk mulch/stone/cover stores that sell truckloads, but will usually be happy to sell just a trunk or tub load as well.

Where do you live out of curiosity? I never considered ordering from Ace, we have some very good and friendly Ace stores here so that might be a good call on your part!

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Bryan said:
Madkins007 said:

Where do you live out of curiosity? I never considered ordering from Ace, we have some very good and friendly Ace stores here so that might be a good call on your part!

I checked out Ace's web site and no listing for cypress mulch. Lowe's has it but doesn't have the function to order it to the store.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Omaha NE.

Try the Ace in-store order books. When I worked there, we had huge catalogs we could order from- although every store has a different policy.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Madkins007 said:
Omaha NE.

Try the Ace in-store order books. When I worked there, we had huge catalogs we could order from- although every store has a different policy.

Thanks, I just decided to bite the bullet and order a 48 quart bag of T Rex Cypress. The shipping was more than double what the bag cost! Maybe next time that I need some, I'll have them send it slow boat to keep the price down.

Status
Not open for further replies.