Cypress Mulch Issues in Calif.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I live in Southern Calif and have 5 closed chamber environments, that I have used cypress mulch in. Obtaining 2 cubic foot bags of this mulch is becoming increasingly difficult.
Does anyone have any connections for this mulch or know of a good substitute??
The enclosures have waterproof heat ropes, under hardware cloth ( Redstrike) that are used with water to boost humidity.
Thoughts are appreciated!

G-stars

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I get mine from lll reptile. They have a few shops in Southern California. Or maybe you can order it online from them? Major hardware stores don't carry them ex. Lowes or Home Depot.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Cococoir is really great :D I've also heard cypress is pretty much like fir bark or orchid bark, could try looking for those instead?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Coconut husk chunks (not coconut coir) is a great alternative. Great for holding moisture while keeping plastron relatively dry. Great smell and no insect (gnats) at all.
For humidity I use water tray (aluminum baking pan) secured half way up the enclosure. On the bottom of the tray is 80 watt heat cable. The tray is filled with water. A computer fan is secured right above the tray gently circulating the evaporated water vapor across the enclosure. This is a main source of heat and moisture.
This closely recreates moist tropical rain forest conditions. It also mimics morning dew (water condensation on the shell) keeping the shell and skin well hydrated.

Attachments

• 1408240499431.jpg
    1408240499431.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Coconut husk chunks (not coconut coir) is a great alternative. Great for holding moisture while keeping plastron relatively dry. Great smell and no insect (gnats) at all.
For humidity I use water tray (aluminum baking pan) secured half way up the enclosure. On the bottom of the tray is 80 watt heat cable. The tray is filled with water. A computer fan is secured right above the tray gently circulating the evaporated water vapor across the enclosure. This is a main source of heat and moisture.
This closely recreates moist tropical rain forest conditions. It also mimics morning dew (water condensation on the shell) keeping the shell and skin well hydrated.

That is a great idea. It doesn't use up floor space and ands heat and humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler at tortoisesupply.com used to sell it.

I prefer either orchid bark or coco chips.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid bark can be found at Lowes or most garden stores for about $5 a 2.0 cubic foot bag. They sometimes call it "Pathway Bark". Just make sure you get the fine grade.

I bought my coco chips in giant bags from a hippy at the reptile shows. I don't see the guy anymore.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Orchid bark can be found at Lowes or most garden stores for about $5 a 2.0 cubic foot bag. They sometimes call it "Pathway Bark". Just make sure you get the fine grade.

I bought my coco chips in giant bags from a hippy at the reptile shows. I don't see the guy anymore.
@kathyth Ever since T-Rex stopped marketing their coconut bark...I moved to this stuff available from PetMountain!

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...na-coco-soft-coarse-chip-reptile-bedding.html

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have an Orchard Supply Hardware store in your town, that's where I buy my orchid bark. I used to really love the cypress mulch but it became so hard to find that I switched. The brand at Orchard's is Black Gold. I don't know about shipping costs, but if you can find large bags of either Black Gold or Wonder Bark online, those are the two brands of orchid bark I've used. Always buy the 'fine' grade or the bags of small particles.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
After weeks of fruitless searching, I did some web searching. Cypress mulch has become almost 'extinct' in SoCal because it isn't a sustainable source. Cypress trees don't grow fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

This is awesome... Have you created a thread for this? I don't want to hijack Kathy's thread but would love to see/hear more about your set up!