Cypress Mulch Questions

Gary20

5 Year Member
Hello all! I purchased a bag of pure cypress mulch from Home Depot for $2.50, which was a tremendous bargain! I added abiut 2-3 inches to my baby sulcata's enclosure and he loves it so far. He has dug a hole all the way to the bottom and sleeps in it. I have a few questions:
  1. How often should I change the substrate? I plan on picking up the actual poop almost daily.
  2. Are there any possible issues using cypress mulch?
  3. Should I add some moss to his half-log hide or is the mulch fine?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
You shouldn't have to change it often if you spot clean (I change the cypress mulch for my Herman usually 1-2x a year)!

The only thing I have an issue with is if I don't turn up the cypress mulch at least a couple times a week, those little silver spring bugs (I forget the exact name? But they are 100% harmless) tend to breed like crazy at the bottom where it's super moist... Not a problem for the tortoise, but I don't like it. But proper maintenance keeps their population down.

Gary20

5 Year Member
My enclosure is outdoors so I don't have an issue with the bugs. I am worried about the termites in my terrace getting into the mulch. Any suggestions? I'm tenting the house in the summer.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I was just going to make a post about these bugs! Mine have unfortunately bred like crazy... They don't seem to be bugging the torts but I'm worried about it none the less. Is there a way to get rise of them? If I have to remove all of the bedding will the darn things just come back??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it is a good idea to add moist sphagnum moss inside the hiding place. This gives the tortoise the added humidity he needs to grow smoothly.

I change out my indoor habitats annually. This is because by the time winter is over, the inhabitants get set up outside, leaving the indoor habitats ready to be cleaned out for next year's inhabitants. I spot clean daily and keep uneaten food picked up.

the only issue her in the California Central Valley that I have with cypress mulch is finding it. Not too many folks here on the west side of the states carry it.