cypress mulch.

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
Right now I have a male russian tortoise and he loves to burrow. Right now his substrate is coconut coir and it is about 4 inches deep. He loves to burrow down into it at night. I have been considering switching to cypress mulch but I do not know if he will be able to dig as well in it. I have heard that cypress mulch is ok for tortoises but I also would just like to confirm that. What is your opinion on cypress mulch?

Relic

Here
I use a 1" layer of cypress mulch on top of a 2" layer of orchid bark mulch for my indoor enclosure. The orchid bark is excellent at holding moisture and the cypress pretty much stays dry - so the humidity stays up, but the tortoise is not walking around on wet substrate. However, my yellowfoot does dig down into the moist orchid bark to sleep at night. I use regular cypress mulch from Lowe's.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Cypress mulch is fine. Don't pay any attention to the Facebook groups.

nicoleann2214

NY
Right now I have a male russian tortoise and he loves to burrow. Right now his substrate is coconut coir and it is about 4 inches deep. He loves to burrow down into it at night. I have been considering switching to cypress mulch but I do not know if he will be able to dig as well in it. I have heard that cypress mulch is ok for tortoises but I also would just like to confirm that. What is your opinion on cypress mulch?
I used coco choir and cypress mulch never had a problem

turtlebean

Connecticut
I have a layer of cypress on top of my coco coir and my little one still loves to burrow into it :)