Cypress mulch?

Newbietortowner

Should I use cypress mulch for a yearling? Or just use moss? I currently have moss and repti bark. I worry about the cypress jabbing them. I thought about mixing it with coco earth and packing it down. Could anyone tell me what they use. I'm a beginner with tortoises

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have used cypress befor but gone back to fir. Both work well it is just preference.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I have used cypress bark but rather prefer a mix of the cypress with Eco earth. Like a 2:1 ratio having more coco coir.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I've used all those substrates, singularly and in combination, so I don't think you can go wrong. My current favorite is to divide the enclosure with water dish and food dish on bark side, and live plants and moss on the coir side. This cuts down on the mess in the dishes and allows for additional microclimates of humidity.

Newbietortowner

I decided to go with just moss for now bc the one I have is still pretty small maybe 4 inches. I think I'll wait to put bark

Newbietortowner

Does anyone have a link of plants that are ok to use? I started to buy a fern the other day and put it back b/c I was unsure of myself.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
thetortoisetable.org.uk

Of the plants listed, I have the best luck with spider plants and prayer plants for being resistant to Redfoot trampling

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Love the coco coir, but mixing moss ( or moss on its own) works great too!

Nicole M

5 Year Member
I'm using a ~50/50 (by volume) coco coir/cypress mix, and I love it! Tort seems to, too. :) Lays pretty flat because of the mulch, but the coir keeps moisture well and is nice and fluffy for burrowing.

My tort's taking a little post-soak snooze on it as we speak! <3 ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465602571.339816.jpg