cypress mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina, US
We have 2 red foots and recently switched from coco fiber substrate to cypress mulch. Is there any difference in the cypress mulch you can buy at hardware stores and the kind you get at pet stores? Right now we have some from a pet store and spent $60 for 3 bags, whereas the cypress mulch we saw at the hardware store was $3 per bag. Just curious.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
So long as it's organic (has no fertilizers or whatever) it's fine. Lots of people here get cypress mulch from the stores. Make sure it's decently fine (small), like in pet stores. I recall someone saying some of the hardware store mulch is too "chunky" and big.

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
Talka said:
So long as it's organic (has no fertilizers or whatever) it's fine. Lots of people here get cypress mulch from the stores. Make sure it's decently fine (small), like in pet stores. I recall someone saying some of the hardware store mulch is too "chunky" and big.

Plus, the hardware store's mulch may have bugs in it from sitting outside much. Be sure to either freeze the mulch for awhile or heat it in an oven or microwave (my favorite for safety!) to kill anything alive in the mulch before you put it in your tort enclosure. If you heat it in an oven, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! You could start a fire pretty easy! After heating it, let it cool before putting in with your torts. That mulch can be very hot!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just read the ingredients. Sometimes the mix other types of wood in with it. I know that if I had a cheaper source, I would certainly buy it, bugs or not.

hammons

5 Year Member
South Carolina, US
Thanks, I think we will give it a try and try to heat it in the oven to be safe. If it works it will be sooo much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.