Daisy Lou and her puffy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Well alrighty then......a mineral enema it is then! Not looking so forward to this! Oh Lisa......I need you..... LOL!!! Time to put my big girl panties on a take care of business.

This is what I was worried about.....I am so upset now and having a moment.

So, do I need an emergency vet appointment tomorrow, or am I ok to try this remedy?

How much am I squirting into the front end and the back end?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Piece of cake! A little syringe with no needle...a few ml's in each end. Your work is done!

time for me to go watch Gibbs!! G'night all...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes thats a bladder stone and nothing to do with urates. The bladder stones come from a diet to high in oxalic acid, which binds with calcium forming stones.
There quite possibly could be more stones or just a bigger one. :( The mineral oil is what I'd recommend, but only as an enema. Might be worth while to go to the vets and get an x-ray, which will show if there are more stones.
Yes eyes can "bug out" when straining to push something out. Looks more like a vitamin A deficiency to me though from the poor diet.
Just keep up with everything your doing now. :)

Danny

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Danny! I will do what the 3 of you have suggested. I too thought is was vitamin A, but after tonights adventure, I am a little freaked out. I work with 14 ~ 5 year olds so it actually takes alot to freak me out. There is a vet 5 minutes away and I will see about an xray tomorrow, and the treaded enema. I hope she doen't stay mad at me for long... sigh

Thanks Yvonne! I appreciate your help!!

Maggie, thank you so much for helping me! I'd have been lost without your help and guidance. Love ya!!

Kristina, thanks for your help!!

To everyone else, thank you all so very much for your kind words and help! I love TFO and I am thankful for all the help I have gotten! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Especially for looking at my pictures and telling me how cute Daisy Lou is and my babies. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please keep this in mind: If you DO end up going to the vet, DO NOT allow him/her to give the tortoise a vitamin A injection. It is usually called A,D,E. Even so, no vitamin injection!! It is VERY easy to get vitamin A into a turtle or tortoise via the food and supplements you feed. There is NO NEED for an injection.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Most of us here dont just love the animals, but we care about the people who love them too!!!
You arent looking forward to the enema.. what about the tort! However,, i hope it works and it all comes out ok..

So its not a rock she ate, but definatley a bladder stone??
i think I would want an xray just to know how many you are dealing with.
I would also be tempted to contact the previous owner just to give them an update..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gerber baby food soaks will aid with the vit. A defficiency. Use either carrots, sweet potatoes or squash.

Also adding liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water. Either/or. I wouldn't use both.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yikes! As someone who has had a kidney stone, I totally can empathize with Daisy Lou. I hope her stone and puffy eye situation is resolved soon.

nascarmw

5 Year Member
Bakersfield CA
hey thanks everybody for the help with Little Miss Daisy! she is not eating today and walking slowly..but walking around. I gave her a warm soak this morning and will do another one in about an hour...I am sure she has more stones as she is hard as a rock "down there". Mary Ann and I sure appreciate the help with little girl! Thanks, Lisa

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Should every soak be done with either the baby food or the vitasol?

Lisa has soaked her twice, I soaked her once and then she will get another one later today. I will soak her again 2 hours after the "Procedure". I told Lisa I would hold Daisy for her....... :D YIKES! Wish us luck....were going in.....

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Well Lisa is a hero in my book! She took care of the "violation" and did a great job! I love you Lisa! I would be lost with out you! I of course, poor me, had the more difficult task of holding Daisy Lou upside down, lie to her, and tell her I had nothing to do with it, the whole time she was staring at me!

Daisy Lou is a trooper and didn't even give us any trouble. Nothing has happened as of yet, so I am hoping there are no more! I am still shocked that she was able to pass it.

Her right eyes looks to be a little less puffy! YEA!! Maybe with that crud out, she will show a little more progress. I am looking forward to the next 4 days off, so I can pamper her and soak the daylights out of her!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for your help and well wishes, I totally appreciate it!!

I think she is the sweetest tortie on the planet :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
laura808 said:
so how many stones were in there? Yikes! What a good little girl!

Laura, she only passed 1, I am planning on taking her Saturday for an xray to see if there are more. We put the mineral oil in her to help anymore pass a little easier. If we are lucky that is the only one!

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it!

ALDABRAMAN said:
WOW, I really hope she gets better. That was horrible.

Thanks Greg! It was horrible. I am hoping Daisy feels better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.