Dales got worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
While we were soaking Dale tonight me and my son Alexander noticed that there were small little worms (I mean really small) after he pooped. Does anyone have any idea how he would get these? I had him checked at the vet in December for parasites, but they didn't fine any. I've looked up exotic vets in my area, but it came up with the one I took him to last time and I'm convinced that she really doesn't know that much about Cherryheads so I'd rather find another one. Does anyone know the site that I would google to find a good exotic vet that really know tortoises? And I guess there would be nothing that I could give him myself to get rid of the worms would there be? And one more thing if you could tell me what kind of things they would want to check for so I don't get taken for more money than I need to be I'd appreciate it. :( Candy

M

Maggie Cummings

Candy said:
While we were soaking Dale tonight me and my son Alexander noticed that there were small little worms (I mean really small) after he pooped. Does anyone have any idea how he would get these? I had him checked at the vet in December for parasites, but they didn't fine any. I've looked up exotic vets in my area, but it came up with the one I took him to last time and I'm convinced that she really doesn't know that much about Cherryheads so I'd rather find another one. Does anyone know the site that I would google to find a good exotic vet that really know tortoises? And I guess there would be nothing that I could give him myself to get rid of the worms would there be? And one more thing if you could tell me what kind of things they would want to check for so I don't get taken for more money than I need to be I'd appreciate it. :( Candy

What city do you live in or near?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
maggie3fan said:
Candy said:

What city do you live in or near?

I live in Alhambra, California Near Pasadena, CA

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
To say a tortoise is free of worms, you need to have 3 fecal tests done in a row. Each of these are done at 2 week intervals. You hardly ever see adult worms, so they would be looking for eggs or larva. Adult don't shed eggs all the time, so thats why the 3 tests. If 3 tests come back negative, than most likely the tortoise doesn't have worms.
It would help to feed Butternut squash once a week, as it has natural worming properties. That way Dale won't have a problem with worms in the future.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
So what your saying is that he has to see a vet first and she will give him medicine to clear the worms and that I would then start giving him butternut squash to keep him clear? How do they get these I only feed Dale organic food and I have him using the moss as a substrate. I guess I should be cleaning that out too, but do I wait until he is clear? And do all vets do the same thing for this do you know? Candy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No you can start feeding the squash right away. Seeing as you know Dale has worms, you can feed it twice a week for a month. Than go back to once a week. You don't have to see the vet or use any other medication.
Dale probably came with the worms.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
egyptiandan said:
No you can start feeding the squash right away. Seeing as you know Dale has worms, you can feed it twice a week for a month. Than go back to once a week. You don't have to see the vet or use any other medication.
Dale probably came with the worms.

Danny

Thank you Danny, we will do that. I'll let you know. Candy :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Candy, I use Dr Sigdestad. He is at 2605 South Waterman Ave. San Bernardino CA 92408
909-825-3144. He knows his torts and there is no nonsense with him. He is not extremely expensive but then he is not cheap either. However he is thorough and has been a god send for my torts. I paid $65.00 for a culture to find out what type of Respiratory infection my tort had because he wasn't responding to an antibiotic another vet put him on. I paid 165 for the visit that included the culture, office visit for 2 torts, Baytril, syringes and deworming. One week later he went over the lab report with me and showed me which drug would work and it was the Baytril (there was no charge for that visit. I have since taken several torts to him with great success. And for worms you just bring in a fresh sample and he has it tested he will even give you the test tube to put it in. I checked Yahoo maps and he is approx. 52 miles from Alhambra. Here is the site of the map I used. So if you don't mind traveling or you can't find another herp vet I suggest you may want to give him a try. If you call him make sure you let them know where you are coming from, sometimes he does not make appointments.
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTE...bra, California &q2=2605 South Waterman 92408

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks for all the great information I really appreciate it. One more question though about the squash do you cook it first. I bought it at Trader Joes and it's sooooo hard that I don't think Dale could bite though it and if I cut in into small pieces I'm afraid he will choke over it. Candy :(

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Candy,

I don't think you will need the Vet if you follow Danny's advice, but if you do. There are a few in the area that I would not go to. So let me know if you have ???. I have heard bad things about the exotic vet at the same clinic I take my dog/cat to.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
galvinkaos said:
Candy,

I don't think you will need the Vet if you follow Danny's advice, but if you do. There are a few in the area that I would not go to. So let me know if you have ???. I have heard bad things about the exotic vet at the same clinic I take my dog/cat to.

Dawna

Actually when Danny sent me the list of vets I looked them up and picked the one in Arcadia if I end up taking Dale. Is this one of the ones that you took yours to? First I am going to try the squash and am hoping that it works because I don't like taking Dale to the vet. The time that we took him before I had to keep the car running because it was cold inside the vet and he needs to stay warm. So I just asked them to come and get us when they were ready. And I'm sure Dale doesn't like the vet either....Shots and all that poking around who would. Candy :p

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Wow, You should never play the lottery. :( That is one of the vets I was going to say no to. Have heard too many bad reviews of service on emergencies and have never heard they were good with exotics. I have not had a bad experience with the cat/dog there except expense. They are pricey. I went to Companion on Rosemead Blvd @ Sereno. Their exotic expert vet isn't around alot (semi-retired), but the Dr I saw owns a tort and was very good with Doris. She has to go back and see if we can wire her shell together. They are affordable, understandable, open 7 days a week, and I have heard very good things from other tort owners. Weren't you the one who told me good stuff about DR. Pavlik?

Dawna

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If I remember correctly the suggested way to feed squash to torts is to cook it slightly, then let it cool a little, then feed it. Hopefully someone will have more detailed instructions though.

If Dale hasn't been to the vet, my personal suggestion is to set up a visit with one now so that in case of an emergency, you have someone who knows you and your tort. Sometimes it's difficult to find a vet, let alone get an appointment last minute with a sick animal. I have a vet set up for my tort who is actually very nearby, and I don't plan on going back any more than necessary due to cost, but I like the peace of mind of knowing she's available and knowledgeable of torts (very rare). I was also told I can just drop off a tort fecal sample if I want it tested without making an appointment (just get charged for the test), or use their UVB tester for my bulb to see what useful life it has left. Both of those things for example are a great benefit to me.

Thanks to Danny for the great advice as always! I'll put butternut squash on my shopping list. I know it freezes well too.

Best wishes

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I buy my butternut squash in the frozen section. It's already cut into cubes and just squash. I follow the microwave directions on the package and than cool before I feed, so yes I cook it before I feed it.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
This morning before work I steamed some squash for Dale. He's now being picky so I might have to mix it in with something else to get him to eat it. Although my son did catch him with some stuck on his face so I guess he tried it. :D Thanks for all the help. Candy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Candy, pumpkin is another squash that works well and you can use the canned pumpkin as long as it is not the one with spices. It took my torts a while to decided they love butternut and acorn squash as much as I do. I love looking at their faces after they have eaten squash or pumpkin Great photo ops of dirty faces :p

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I will get some of that. I actually usually keep pumkin in my cupboard just in case my dogs get any diarrhea. It works well to clear that up in them. Thanks. Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.