Damage beak

supabouy49

Location (City and/or State)
Schaumburg
Today I have notice a chipped part of my tortoise upper beak. He seems to be I. No pain but is there any thing I can do to aid it or should I rush him to a vet?image.jpg

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
It is overgrown and needs trimming but the way it is now I am afraid it will drop off if you put a dremel tool on it. But I see no other solution than the beak falling off and regrow. Thankfully they can survive without a beak.

supabouy49

Schaumburg
It is overgrown and needs trimming but the way it is now I am afraid it will drop off if you put a dremel tool on it. But I see no other solution than the beak falling off and regrow. Thankfully they can survive without a beak.
Thank you and yikes

Aidrob206

Williamsburg Va
Today I have notice a chipped part of my tortoise upper beak. He seems to be I. No pain but is there any thing I can do to aid it or should I rush him to a vet?View attachment 313010
There is really no need for the vet as the beak should heal on its own keep an eye out to make sure your shelf friend doesn’t have any trouble eating or isn’t eating as that can cause some issues. There is really nothing the vet can do but tell you what to be aware of or trim it’s beak(For Money of Course) if needed. You can trim your own tortoises beak as there’re many tutorials on how. Make sure the damage doesn’t spread as well.

Aidrob206

Williamsburg Va
By the way I don’t suggest trying to trim your tortoises beak on your own when it is damaged.I have also been a owner for almost 7yrs now so you may call me experienced thou I bet there are way more experienced owners on here to wait for.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
By the way I don’t suggest trying to trim your tortoises beak on your own when it is damaged.I have also been a owner for almost 7yrs now so you may call me experienced thou I bet there are way more experienced owners on here to wait for.
Sorry that comment was meant for me not you but you managed to sneak your comment above before I hit post:)

Aidrob206

Williamsburg Va
Sorry that comment was meant for me not you but you managed to sneak your comment above before I hit post:)
No problem as actually it was the other way around you posted before me and I read your reply and just wanted to make sure to say there are probably way more experienced owners than me to wait for it was really me agreeing with you.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is that a hole in the beak by the eye and nostril?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Is that a hole in the beak by the eye and nostril?

yeah, I think it is, looks like the whole beak is at risk of coming off. looks bad to me, no idea what the remedy entails.

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
Today I have notice a chipped part of my tortoise upper beak. He seems to be I. No pain but is there any thing I can do to aid it or should I rush him to a vet?View attachment 313010
This tortoise has a severely overgrown beak. The overgrowth makes the beak prone to breakage which has now happened. When the overgrowth is severe enough to result in a fracture as like that in your tortoise, it is best treated by a vet who is experienced with treating the conditions shown in your photo. Is there a good exotics vet in your area? If so, I recommend taking the tortoise there. If not, is there a vet school with an exotics department in your area? That would be the next choice.

Note that the treatment may require repairing the break as well as trimming the excess growth and reshaping the beak at the same time so the tortoise can eat properly.