Dandelions

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi

Are there more than one type of dandelion weed. You hear people talk and just refer to them as dandelions, I've heard numerous members say they can't grow dandelions, is this because there are so many different types that require different soil and climates, do we have to match the correct dandy to the correct climate and soil.
I don't struggle with dandelion shortage(uk has the perfect climate for weeds). Just thought I would start a thread and maybe someone will gain from an in depth discussion on dandies.
I have loaded a photo of the dandy leaves in my garden. Why such difference?
@Iochroma @Yvonne G @anyone

IMG_20150517_083136.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
OMG. I'm becoming obsessed with dandelions. Look at the size of this badboy.
My neighbours must think I'm nuts. I'm either looking for worms and slugs in the dark and rain, or foraging for weeds and taking random photos whilst stood under trees or in bushes. lol :) and I've just been attacked by some sort of weed that fires its seeds off when touched. Had 2 in the eye. ;)Thats not a wink, its me with a seed in the eye. lol

IMG_20150517_102403.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is this one a type of dandelion. The flowers look like miniature versions of the dandelion, and seed the same way.

IMG_20150517_120219.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there I had never paid much attention to dandelions until Lola shuffled into my life and you're right there are lots of weeds that look like dandies which are probably the same family but may not be. The first pic is the most common sort in my area and that's what I pick for Lola and have also found some with enormous leaves. The last one I'm not sure about it looks a bit like a sow thistle but would have to check the leaves. Does www.thetortoisetable.org.uk give different examples?
I too constantly look for dandies wherever I go, and if I know they, or the soil, haven't been sprayed, I pick a bunch then get some strange looks or asked if I make dandelion tea. Even in traffic queues I am eyeing up the dandies on the side of the road - although I know they wouldn't be any good 'cause of fumes etc. It really is an obsession!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi there I had never paid much attention to dandelions until Lola shuffled into my life and you're right there are lots of weeds that look like dandies which are probably the same family but may not be. The first pic is the most common sort in my area and that's what I pick for Lola and have also found some with enormous leaves. The last one I'm not sure about it looks a bit like a sow thistle but would have to check the leaves. Does www.thetortoisetable.org.uk give different examples?
I too constantly look for dandies wherever I go, and if I know they, or the soil, haven't been sprayed, I pick a bunch then get some strange looks or asked if I make dandelion tea. Even in traffic queues I am eyeing up the dandies on the side of the road - although I know they wouldn't be any good 'cause of fumes etc. It really is an obsession!
Looking for dandies whilst driving. Tut tut. I'm the same. We call it "dandy rubber necking". Lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is this one a type of dandelion. The flowers look like miniature versions of the dandelion, and seed the same way.

View attachment 130273
Well @Yvonne G , I've only just discovered your thread with plant photo's. Excellent thread. I now know this is a Prickly sow thistle and its edible.
Your thread is doing its job. Thank you,great thread. Just to help confirm this. I think I have bittercress all over my garden. When this weed seeds, does it fire seeds all over when touched.