Danger of trapdoor snails

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I had 5 hatchling painted turtles set up in a tank and all were doing good seemed healthy and then one died, it really bothered me as why the one had died and kept wondering why such a healthy looking turtle died.
So a week goes by and I just happen to be checking on the hatchlings and there is one on the bottom of the tank struggling to get loose from one of
the trap door snails that was in the tank, the snails door was shut and had
the leg of the turtle trapped in it. So I am pretty sure that my other hatchling that died also got trapped in the snail could not get loose and drowned. It never crossed my mind that something like that could happen.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah...I read about things like that happening to hatchlings whenever there's a cage or wire that they can get their legs caught in. Sorry to hear about the one that died. At least you now know and will take steps to correct it.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
I saw a picture of a small Stinkpot baby killed by a freshwater shell, that caught his head inside :(... anything like a potential trap, even narrow spaces in decorations, rocks etc., should be considered. They can get stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.