Dark spot around sulcata baby mouth

sully_baby

Location (City and/or State)
Matlock
Hi,

My baby sulcata has this dark bit on one sidd of his mouth. Around 2 weeks ago it was not there and I am wondering if it is a reason for concern...

Please let me know. Any advice is welcomed!IMG-20240731-WA0021.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20240731-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20240731-WA0020.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Honestly, I thought it was just food that got stuck but it has been there for a couple of days...so I dont know what it is...
From what I can see, it looks like the area is a stain from eating greens. The chlorophyll which is in the greens gets mixed with saliva as the tortoise "chews" on the greens and creates stains around the edges of the jaws.

I used to notice this the most when I fed kale to my tortoises, but other greens can do the same. What had your tortoise been eating the few days before you noticed the dark area?

sully_baby

Matlock
From what I can see, it looks like the area is a stain from eating greens. The chlorophyll which is in the greens gets mixed with saliva as the tortoise "chews" on the greens and creates stains around the edges of the jaws.

I used to notice this the most when I fed kale to my tortoises, but other greens can do the same. What had your tortoise been eating the few days before you noticed the dark area?
He has been eating all sorts, kale, a mix called rustik grub, some grass mix...he ate a lot today too!...He does not behave strangely, he just seems to have that bit he did not have before...I am attaching a video here too... :(

zovick

10 Year Member!
He has been eating all sorts, kale, a mix called rustik grub, some grass mix...he ate a lot today too!...He does not behave strangely, he just seems to have that bit he did not have before...I am attaching a video here too... :(
I don't see the video attached, but that's OK. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The dark area is just stained from well-chomped chlorophyll mixed with saliva which has oxidized and dried on the beak edges.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Videos have to be uploaded to YouTube first and then shared from there to here.