Darn! Severe mold outbreak in hatchling enclosure!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
Poopy! Vlad the red foot hatchling is having a severe mold outbreak of whitish fungus all over his enclosure all of a sudden! I just added mealworms I ordered online to the tort salad mix... I suspect the dried worms got mold.
I ordered 3 blocks of new coco coir from chewy.com today and I will replace the old substrate. Darn!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ugh. I hope you can get rid of all of it quickly.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Of course he doesn't. Human beings and other more intelligent mammals are the only critters that hate. Don't feel guilty!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Poopy! Vlad the red foot hatchling is having a severe mold outbreak of whitish fungus all over his enclosure all of a sudden! I just added mealworms I ordered online to the tort salad mix... I suspect the dried worms got mold.
I ordered 3 blocks of new coco coir from chewy.com today and I will replace the old substrate. Darn!
What is the old substrate? Is this all over, or just in a localized spot? Pics?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Well I found out what was making the mold spread! When I dumped water down into his enclosure, I would only pour moisture down into the corners....bad decision! The dry substrate got fungus breeding out of control all over the dry coco coir .
So once i started to water the moldy sites, the mold died ....
Lame.